Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You should try fishing some of your "mutants".  Many (too many, some would say) of my flies look like mutants but they catch fish.  I think it's because the fish see them and say, "I don't know what it is but it looks dangerous...I'd better kill it before it can breed!"

Seriously though, you owe it to yourself to give the fish a chance to tell you whether a fly works or not.  Remember, just because it looks good to us out of the water doesn't mean that it won't look appetizing to a fish under the water.

All that being said, I have to admit that I'd given up on everything except nymphs and big streamers for a while because they didn't look right, and they didn't catch fish.  Then I started to use the internet to find tying instructions and lessons and learned more in a few hours than I had in 10 years of tying (if crudely lashing fur, feathers, and roadkill to a hook is tying).  If you have a fly or technique that gives you fits, try doing a search online...you might be pleasantly surprised!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts