Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start off by saying this is my first year living in Denver and I didn't do a whole lot of fishing here last fall. I'm not quite sure what fish respond to in this area so this is probably a factor.

However, I usually see fish jumping and being active, but I haven't seen this at all this year. I've been to chatfield, cherry creek, and a couple small ponds at sun up, at sun down, and all times in between. I've tried rooster tails, flies, kastmasters, dare devles, and various jigs, but I haven't even had a bite yet while fishing from the shore. So, my question is, are you folks having the same troubles, is it weather-related, or do I just need to pick up some new gear and/or do some research on what works in this area?

·
Registered
279 Posts
The water has to warm up just a little bit more for warm water fish, trout are good to go right now. You could do a little leg work and walk and talk to other fishermen around the lakes and ponds to see how they are doing and share information if you can.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The trout are extremely active right now. Both stockers and wild trout. Any of the metro lakes will have the stockers and you'll catch them by the dozen. All the rivers and streams are active as well. I spent some time on the South Platte from the Chatfield spillway all the way through downtown Denver was able to land quality rainbows and browns on the fly and on atomic trout teaser jigs this past week. The eyes, wipers, bass and basically any warm water species right now are a bit slow. It should start picking up in the next couple of weeks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts