Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard a couple people on the forum talk about how important their digital camera is. Mine is one item I never leave to go fishing without. Which camera's do you guys use? I just bought a fuji film digi with 4.1 mega pix from walmart for 150 bucks. It works great and didnt cost so much that I'm afraid to take it into my belly boat or in my waders. If you don't have a digital camera in your fishing gear yet I highly suggest it. You will take a lot more pictures then you have in the past, and if you fish alone alot like I do you always have proof the big one didn't get away!!! one suggestion when your snapping pictures of fish by yourself. Use something to reference the size of the fish tape measure is ideal but a cell phone, pop can, rod and reel will work. This really helps I've taken a few pictures of nice fish that you really can't tell how big they are when they are just lying in the grass.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i use a fujifilm finepix 3.2 megapixel----100 at wally world

the pic quality is the same as my olympus c5000 5 megapix

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I have a Sony cybershot 7.2 Mega-pixel DSC-P200. I love it!!!!! Very worried about ruining it so I baby it the best I can. But its pretty rugged, battery life is great 400 mins per charge, 512Meg memory sitck holds 125-200 pictures at highest quaility. Has Burst option takes like 16 pictures in a sec or something and has instant boot up and instant shutter from when you push the button no delays. You can adjust shutterspeed and f stops and isos. Probably the best none SLR I ever bought.

·
Registered
238 Posts
HP 635 2.1 MP 12X zoom

It was cheap and came with a printer. Even though it is extremely baisic and not worth much I would be pissed if I dropped it in the water. I know the day will come. I would like to get a shell that is wate proof but I think it would cost more than the camera!!!!!!

Pondfisher

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
IMO one important thing to look at when shopping for a digital camera is the zoom range. Many come with a 3:1 optical zoom which is short of what you would like to have. This is more important than the no. of megapixels, because if you can zoom the picture in to use all of the pixels you've got, to just cover the field of interest, you can get by with anything in the 2-4 MP range. There are some 7:1 and 10:1 units out there that do a great job.

I'm talking optical zoom range only, forget the digital zoom, that's no different from blowing up the picture after you get it onto your computer.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
LOL!

I'm talking about using up all of the internal picture size capacity of the camera with just the area of interest in the photo. You do that by zooming in on it. Maybe I can give an example. First: here's a photo of a guy (my son) with a fish. (I think it's a golden trout.) Notice all the area around the outside of the picture that needs to be cropped out to make for efficient posting.

Now, with the use of the zoom feature, you optically crop the picture down to the essentials:

You could have done this on your computer with picture processing software, but only by giving away some of the camera's resolution. The optical zoom lets you fill the whole frame with only the details you want, and does not throw away resolution, because the zoomed picture fills the camera.

With more zoom, you could just fill the frame with the fish, and sometimes you want to do that.

Bottom line: zoom is good.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Yep, W.E. is right about the optical zoom.

I have a Sony Cybershot F707 & F828 and I'd like to get a digital SLR but they cost many bones. The Sony's have a nice sized optical zoom and I've taken way more pictures since I switched to digital. I'm the kind of photographer who takes 100 cruddy pictures for every good one and so digital keeps the cost down for me :p

I think the very best site for digital camera information is www.dpreview.com -- you may want to check it out.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
I'm talking about using up all of the internal picture size capacity of the camera with just the area of interest in the photo. You do that by zooming in on it. Maybe I can give an example. First: here's a photo of a guy (my son) with a fish. (I think it's a golden trout.)
btw, I think your son caught the state record golden trout! :eek: :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I have bought a lot of digital cameras since they have been around and many were 100$-200$ range. most were 2-4 mega pixel range. I've come to the conclusion the camera needs to be atleast 5 megapixel or above... there is a certain spot where megapixel no longer matters to much, but its above 5. Other thing is alot of digitals I have used degrade over time, they take great pictures then they get darker or pinker as time goes on. Or they take great pictures outside but produce crap inside. Research what camera you want to get before you actually get one, www.dpreview.com is a GREAT site on that I use alot to dream about SLRs I want.
I wanted an all purpose camera, take pictures for fishing, holidays, events, wildlife, waterfalls, ect. I would second W.E.'s comment about optical zoom being important, but dont be fouled by the digital zooms that just blows the picture up and can become very pixelated and full of noise.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have a HP M307, 3.2mp and I don't have any complaints at all with it. It takes great pictures for what I need and it didn't cost a fortune. It came with a HP Photoshop printer.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
ReefMaster DC310 Digital Camera
http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/dc310.html

is the camera of choice when i go out water proof and in a rugged ruberized housing impervious to dust and moisture and i can go in the water with it down to 100'+

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
zman said:
That price includes the flash units, which are really a requirement for good underwater photos. I've done underwater photography and IMO the results are only so-so without the flash. Water absorbs a lot of light. I think an underwater camera is overkill for fishing use, though. If you expect to frequently get the camera wet, there are lots of weatherproof cameras that would work just fine. Otherwise, you can just be careful and use a regular digital camera.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Thing you have to remember about digital cameras is there is no film costs... So spend a little more to get a good camera and buy a bigger Hard Drive and take Mad photos.
My woman does digital scrapbooking and I print some out for whatever, but mostly I use a program from www.hello.com (free) to share and chat with my family and friends about them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts