Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the late post but I do have a report and then questions about Dillon. Well I watched some guiding videos and then used google maps to help locate where they were fishing. Well come to find out not a big secret considering a handful of there parties were there fishing. Ice at the inlet was about 18 inches thick and then with about 6 inches of slush on top. A little scary considering most of the lake was open. Constant action all day, caught about 20 each yet only about 4 worthy enough not to get laughed at by wife for brining them home.

So while were were fishing constant action with mealies and wanted to do nothing with wax worms. Throughout the day a school of small trout would come through and then shortly there after larger trout would move in. Go slow and then start up again. Is this typical to have a this transition happen? Also they seemed to really like a Clam jig that looks like a ball of salmon eggs. Has anyone else tried this jigs and are they worth buying them? I've been fooled before by a productive day have bought lures that have never produced fish.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
One day it may be Clam jigs with mealies and the next a casty with a butterworm. You have to experiment sometimes to find out what they want.

I can't speak on that particular jig, but I will say this... Some days you can toss everything in your box at them and not get a bite. Catching fish has a lot to do with size, presentation and color; whether its through the ice or on soft water.

Experimenting with what works best for you is what makes it challenging and fun.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I just picked up some Clam Tungsten jigs but haven't tried them out yet.

When I bought mine, I didn't see the "Clam Caviar Tungsten jigs" you mentioned.

They look like they'd be worth a try.

·
Registered
16,694 Posts
Wow Ive never tried jigging for Clams! Do they fight hard?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was fishing with. Since most of them were sold out I figured there was a reason why. Well headed out again today and see if the fishing gods are with me.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I'll tell you what, those tungsten jigs are surprisingly heavy given how small they are!

Let us know how you do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts