Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaving the Phoenix heat in July and heading to Dillon for a few days. Planning on taking my 4wt. I've been doing a little research how where I should fish. I think I have an idea of where I want to go. I'm really looking forward to getting to the mountains. Any info or suggestions you guys have would be great. Anywhere I need to eat? Can't miss places?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Ark/Upper C/Blue below Dillon Res/Blue outside of town

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Colorado is about 30-40 min drive from Dillon... Would give that a try. The Blue in Dillion is typically packed with people, so get out of town on the Blue or head to the Colorado. Bring a variety of nymphs and 6x tippet.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick responses. I know vail is about 45 min away but is the piney river mostly private water?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Might have trouble getting to the Piney, it's up in the hills. I've always wanted to try it, and know there is a stretch you can fish, but lots of private. Let us know if you get there. Gore Creek right in Vail is Gold Medal.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Go to the Ark between Granite and Leadville. Lots of fun, easy wading, the caddis hatch can be epic, and even some Green Drakes here and there.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'd pass in the Blue, it's crowded and frankly a bit overrated. Piney River has public water but it's a long way back. The Colorado below Gore Canyon, Arkansas, and Eagle would be my choices for your trip. Check the runoff levels before you go anywhere though.

http://www.dwr.state.co.us/SurfaceWater/default.aspx

·
Registered
123 Posts
Head over the pass from Breckenridge towards Fairplay for a day. Lots of beaver ponds and small stream stuff up there. Also check out Spinney Res, the damsels should be going strong, you can sight fish to big rainbows in shallow water around any of the bays

·
Registered
315 Posts
The private water is the only really good water on the piney. The privately managed sections are absolutely incredible. I have fished the public and there are fish, but you would be better off with the above suggestions such as the colorado or ark. If it was July you can fish almost any place. There are tons of good short hikes out of breck/dillon with some nice cutties to be caught.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Breakfast at Arapahoe cafe and sunshine cafe. A steak at the Mint. Dos locos in keystone for Mexican.The snake is an often overlooked and productive option real close to Dillon.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awesome. Thank you for the food recommendations as well. With the recommendations I've received from you guys it's time to start mapping everything out. Thanks again

1 - 16 of 16 Posts