Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have any hesitations about keeping fish out of Chatfield or Cherry Creek? I know they say that there's nothing to worry about but I heard that these lakes may not be as clean as most think. Also wasn't there a sewage leak into CC a couple of years ago? Not that I won't fish these lakes but do any of you question the fish that you keep from these two?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I would have to catch a walleye at CC to worry about it, LOL.

I have eaten about a half dozen eye's from Chatfield in the last couple of years. What have you heard about it?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess its not so much Chatfield as CC but I have seen the weekend crowd day after day being careless with trash and other waste for that matter. I just feel spoiled with the fish that I catch out of Aurora that the thought of the water quality just came to me the other day. Is it true about the sewage leak at CC a couple years ago?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Yeah it happened, but i doubt that one incident could have a permanent effect on the fish? The reason Cherry Creek is so fertile and they have the alge bloom sometimes, is the turf farm upstream. The turf farm and the houses upstream release a bunch of nitrogen into the water shed. I read it was all the fertilizer they use? Personnally I wouldn't care to eat any CC fish.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe thats why they get so big in there ;). Nothing like a little fertilizer to get things going.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
The longer a fish remains in a water system that has less than perfect water, the longer it has to absorb whatever impurities there are-thats why at Brush Hollow they're gonna post warnings about consuming larger walleye but its OK to eat the smaller ones. Personally, if theres any health warnings at all, I would be reluctant to consume any fish from that water.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Does all the boating action at these lakes have an affect on the clearness of the waters by stirring it up?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
roth2000 said:
Maybe thats why they get so big in there  ;).  Nothing like a little fertilizer to get things going.
I think that is why the Shad do so well there? It's a wonder anyone catchs anything there with all the forage there.

L

·
0 Posts
I ate a fish one time out of Cherry Creek and I got some weird swelling. I won't eat anything out of there again.

yeah, theres alot of SOMETHING in that water.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
roth2000 said:
Also wasn't there a sewage leak into CC a couple of years ago? Not that I won't fish these lakes but do any of you question the fish that you keep from these two?
That sewage leak you are thinking of was probably when they closed the swimming beach a few years ago because of an elevated fecal bacteria count. Caused by rain washing goose poop into the lake. Used to happen every few years, I wouldn't worry about eating a fish from CC now and then unless the warnings are out.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
As a practitioner and supporter of CPR, I always take the opportunity to encourage the practice by bringing up the sewage spill thing. The turf farm runoff issue is true. I grew up around CC so I know its ecology well, and the turf farm uses their own brand of fertilizer. It's a very smelly type of chicken poop, and that's what you are eating when you cook up those giant walleye. The minnows eat the chicken poop, the shad eat the minnows, the walleye and trout eat the shad. What ends up on your dinner table is essentially concentrated chicken droppings. Sorry to ruin your appetite. :eek:

·
Registered
24,589 Posts
What ends up on your dinner table is essentially concentrated chicken droppings.
...I wondered why the walleye from there tasted like chicken!...

·
Registered
198 Posts
silicone boy said:
As a practitioner and supporter of CPR, I always take the opportunity to encourage the practice by bringing up the sewage spill thing. The turf farm runoff issue is true. I grew up around CC so I know its ecology well, and the turf farm uses their own brand of fertilizer. It's a very smelly type of chicken poop, and that's what you are eating when you cook up those giant walleye. The minnows eat the chicken poop, the shad eat the minnows, the walleye and trout eat the shad. What ends up on your dinner table is essentially concentrated chicken droppings. Sorry to ruin your appetite. :eek:
shad are not carnivorous. plankton eaters. and what's wrong with taking home legal fish to eat?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Can we pretty please answer this without starting yet another "Release or Grease?" argument? Thanks to all involved.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I don't know that aurora is perfect either, seems that I read something a while back that the air force use to use that site to test some of their goodies. I say if it tastes good eat it!

·
Registered
149 Posts
The turf farm and the houses upstream release a bunch of nitrogen into the water shed

This is very true. Large ammounts of nitrogen will make the algae grow wild, and large ammounts algae is the sign of poor water quaity and is an indicator that the fishery could be going down hill fast

1 - 20 of 25 Posts