Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI for those of you in the COS or Woodland Park area; The Peak Fly shop has a bin of high quality flies for 1$ each. I just picked up about 80 nice nymphs #20-#24. Can't beat the price for flies of this quality, even though the selection is limited.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discount Flies

b.reelz,

I haven't done this in a couple of years but for a while, I was bidding on flies on eBay. In some cases, I would pay per fly, including shipping $.50 to $.75. I also bought them on eBay by limiting my search to, "buy it now" and "free shipping". I was finding these flies for about the same price.

A few years ago, I found a dude from Cheyenne, I believe, who sold flies tied in Kenya. I haven't heard from him in a while and don't recall his name. Several of us in my office would order dozens and dozens of flies for under $1.00 each.

Another year, a seller had a booth at the International Sportsman's Expo. He had literally thousands and thousands of flies of all types. They were $10 per dozen. I've not seen him there since. His flies were tied in Sri Lanka.

The flies in these situations are of high quality. I've never had a problem with any of them coming apart. In fact, I contend you could take some patterns to Orvis, sneak them into a bin of the same type of fly and no one would be the wiser.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Big Y fly -- Been using them for years.. I like to shop from the couch..

Good selection- quality- free ship over $30..

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just trying to pass along a tip on local discount flies to fellow fly folk.

However, I've found that while the "cheap" flies you order online will catch fish just fine, the hooks tend to be cheap and flimsy; especially on size 18 and smaller. Just last week I lost 4 fish to a cheap hook straightening out. For that reason I'm starting use the cheap flies for size 18 and bigger, but for smaller flies I'm going to start buying higher quality.

·
Registered
485 Posts
When I go to fly shops I will help them out by buying tippet, leader material, tying supplies but generally won't buy flies unless there is something that I just don't want to tie myself. One example is Kaufmann stoneflies. They are outstanding flies but a royal pain in the wazoo to tie. Do try to help out the shops though as they seem to disappear way to fast.

·
Registered
167 Posts
dallasdb,

I agree about the fake call centers.

Pilotfly,

I don't tie difficult flies like copper john's and I generally don't use flies smaller than 18s. It's like rocket surgery. Are you a C-130 driver?

b.reelz,

As stated above, I don't generally use flies smaller than 18 so I don't experience the problem of cheap hooks.

I do have a problem, now and then, of the whip finish on some flies coming apart but that's because they are my flies. I don't use head cement except on large streamers.

·
Registered
485 Posts
dallasdb,

Pilotfly,

I don't tie difficult flies like copper john's and I generally don't use flies smaller than 18s. It's like rocket surgery. Are you a C-130 driver?
Was - finished a 30 year career in 2003 flying C-130's. First in Airlift and then Rescue.

I tie a wide range of fly sizes. I also don't use head cement. Whip finish and call it good. I don't consider copper johns too difficult. Midges are simple since there isn't much to them. It is some of the dry flies I have problems with as I tend to crowd the head far too much.

·
Registered
167 Posts
We should probably be talking flies and tying in the Fly Tying Section but because we've started this, I will say I too do not like tying most dry flies. I can tie a good looking elk hair caddis and sometimes an Adams. Any dry fly I tie, except the elk hair, is tied with a white wing so I can see it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
BIG Y

I have to agree with Vinnie, I've been buying from BIG Y for years and find the hooks, the tie quality, and the prices to be unmatched by any other source I've tried. They now ship free on over $40 a slight increase. One of the other plus points, generally I receive my flies first class mail 2-3 days from the day I order them.
I bought 3 dozen Zonker patterns this past Monday and they were here yesterday, again I would compare the quality with anything you can find and they are $0.65 each, I don't think the materials can be bought for that price?
http://www.bigyflyco.com/zonker-detail.htm
Take a look,
Bill

·
Registered
167 Posts
whadley,

Do you know who ties Big Y flies? I agree with you about the cost of materials (don't forget time) making buying flies more attractive than tying them. Because of this, I haven't tied a fly in several years. I will check Big Y. Thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Keep an eye out on the Bargain Cave at Cabelas. Last year I picked up a couple dozen 2bit Hookers (Red), for $1.50 per dozen.

I will never stop tieing, but couldnt pass up that price.

·
Registered
167 Posts
dubbn,

My first stop anytime I go to Cabela's is the Bargain Cave. I've never seen flies in the cave but you can bet I would snag any bargains.

Now that Bass Pro owns Cabela's, my hope is nothing changes at Cabela's, especially the Bargain Cave.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll have to checkout Big Y flies too... I've been using discountflies, but the size 20 and smaller hooks keep straightening out on me when I'm fighting fish.

Thinking I'll get back into tying myself; maybe a personal xmas gift. I've been using some local tied flies that are variations on classics and they have been very productive. Can't find them online and they are $2.50 each at the store (IIRC).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts