Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often look back and realize how much I enjoyed having more than just trout in the local waters. Larimer is probably the more diversified county in the state when it comes to fish species with quality sizes. You can fish the waters for crappie, bass(SM,LGM, White), perch, walleye, wiper, pike, grass carp, common carp, tiger muskie, browns, rainbows, cutts, grayling, and lakers (some good cats if you know their habits) all in a day. Here I can chase trout, trout, carp and then it's an hour minimum to get to some place that offers something other than trout. Even after the hour drive, the quality doesn't begin to match what an angler can find in the city of Ft Collins for warm water species. Horrible. LOL

What county do you think offers the best fish species diversity with quality fish? (Crowds aside). I would also have to rank Pueblo County right up there as well. With it's reservoir, tailwater, and some private lakes it also offers some good diversity.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Not that I am capable, but can you imagine a fishing contest based upon the number of species caught in a single day?

Would make for a very interesting day for certain.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our club has discussed this idea but the only issue is how to prove it was one day? With a Scott rod and Ross/Abel reel as a prize, cheaters are a concern.

If I was to venture out with this in mind, it would require some serious planning and timing to give the best shot at the greatest diversity without consuming the day in travel. Larimer county this would be a snap! It would boil down to sizes and a bit of luck for a couple of the species.

Tiger Muskie/ Walleye are just right out around here. I could replace them with tiger trout/ chubs...maybe a Colorado Pikeminnow. Wonder how USFWS would react to one lying on the dirt bank in the sun having its picture taken? lol

Moffat county could also be a good bet but private pond access would be needed.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I envision the contest occurring in one day on one body of water. Lot's of different species in any warm water Colorado reservoir. Catch one species, take it to the weigh in station where it is weighed, recorded and released. Go back out after the next species. Could be fun.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ftcollinscatcher you should be in on that species challenge. If you are PM me. lol. One day catching the lump and the second chasing high value targets. lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I envision the contest occurring in one day on one body of water. Lot's of different species in any warm water Colorado reservoir. Catch one species, take it to the weigh in station where it is weighed, recorded and released. Go back out after the next species. Could be fun.
Could be fun but still limited. Make it a day and it doubles the species list!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lakes and reservoirs are also a nice reprieve from the chocolate runs through it. Made some calls today and everything is still frozen. There is one res. that CPW unsuccessfully tried killing off. Saw some pike and a couple of lg mouth picture over the winter that might make for an interesting adventure. Hit one local still water today and caught a few crappie before a the wind chased me off. Should have held out as I guess it didn't last long.

Carp are just starting to cruise the shores here. My friend said nothing big though. His catch was composed of just 16"ers. Not enough body for the 8wt. Need the +10lb'rs to make wading the muck worth the stink.

Anyone hit Harvey during/after the draining last fall?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts