Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't fished much in the past 2 years, work, relationship problems, renovating my 1st house and more work...
But anyways, I found some time to go fishing! I headed out to Dixon for some bluegill and bass fishing. This has never been a great producing lake for me, but always one of the more fun places I fish. Got to the lake lake and saw it was about more than half empty. There was a good little hole left by the outlet with a bunch of decent gills in it, caught a few and decided to walk around the lake/mud pit and hit the outlet hole on my way out. I didn't catch **** and there are about 200 or more pelicans gorging on fish constantly. Cool to see the birds eating but also kind of sad. While I was on the opposite side of the lake from the outlet a truck pull up to it and opens up the gate! I made my way back there and it was just a mud pit left were the school of gills were and water dumping out quickly. I flicked a cig in the mud and said goodbye to a very nice lake.
Not worth fishing there IMO

·
Registered
24,557 Posts
Thats crazy...i thought it was a pretty good fishery over the years...

·
Registered
173 Posts
So you are saying it is completely dry now? The only structure has been weeds growing to the surface. Even those are gone. It must have been low for quite a while. It has been a year or two since I tried to fish it. I may have to go over and see it. Interested in what the long term plan is.

s

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, it's not completely dry, but was draining quickly. As far as I could cast out the water was maybe 1' deep. Also with the hundreds of pelicans there are not many fish left from what I could tell. Some massive grass carp are still swimming around.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Never been there. Prolly never will-
You seem to be lacking in your conviction there. I would say: never been, never will. :biggrin1: But, yeah, to those of you who liked the place, sorry for your losses.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
You seem to be lacking in your conviction there. I would say: never been, never will. :biggrin1: But, yeah, to those of you who liked the place, sorry for your losses.
I never say never-

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I caught my first catfish on a fly there. Wonder what the long term plan is? It was an OK fishery despite the lack of structure. But the mud trying to launch a belly boat was pretty awefull.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
You were filled with awe?
Yes the stickyness of the mud was awe inspiring. Truly amazing mud. Last time I experienced mud like that I was digging clams at low tide in a marsh in New England..

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Dropped by today - lake is ultra low, sticky cloying by mud around periphery. Lots of birds loading up in on fish - someone/something should since otherwise they're going to waste. Rumor has it the reservoir company and/or city didn't notify CPW before it was too late for them to put boats on the lake for a salvage.

Here's the sign by the access points.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe they will dredge the the lake and make it deeper? just a thought. Didn't see the sign when I was there on Thursday

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
It would be nice if they could do some habitat improvements and make it deeper. To bad they did not do some salvage. There are some decent fish in there that could have been spread around to some other waters.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Back when I was a wee lad I went fishing at a lake that was being drained. Some areas we could walk pretty close to the water's edge and other areas I kept losing my shoes and sinking in knee deep in the thick mud. Awful stuff.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It'd been a few years since I'd fished it, so I stopped by once this summer. That mud was so nasty, after I was done I went to the carwash and cleaned up the tube, waders and back of the truck.

Quite the crowd, too. I was happy they'd all congregated at one spot that I don't usually fish.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts