Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my boys fishing yesterday. We caught several smallys and a few laughs. My boys saw two bull frogs. I told them I've had frog legs in florida that tasted amazing! Now they want to harvest them. I read the co fishing catalog and it sounds like they are a pest! any ideas on where I could take a five and three year old frog gigging?

tj8)

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I was kid growing up back east we used to go and catch frogs at this pond close to home by hand until an old timer told me to use a fishing pole with a hook and cut out a little piece of red fabric (roughly 1/2") and put it on the hook and dangle it in front of them. They would go for it instantly. Worked like a charm. Frog legs sauteed in butter, salt and pepper.....tasty!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
When I was kid growing up back east we used to go and catch frogs at this pond close to home by hand until an old timer told me to use a fishing pole with a hook and cut out a little piece of red fabric (roughly 1/2") and put it on the hook and dangle it in front of them. They would go for it instantly. Worked like a charm. Frog legs sauteed in butter, salt and pepper.....tasty!
I used to catch Em on a split shot and a wooly bugger with my little spin outfit. They'd grab it immediately and wouldn't let go. Sometimes they'd grab the split shot.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Not sure where you can go but we used to just dangle a dry fly in front of them and they would eat, and yes we harvested many for the legs and they are tasty for sure! Better than chicken legs IMO!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would try any of the ponds in the Ft. Collins area ... Farther south you could try the St. Vrain park ponds.

Good luck.

Mac

1 - 6 of 6 Posts