Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am headed out to CO in July with my daughter and step-son. They have both recently showed an interest in fly fishing and I am trying to capitalize on their recent interest. Both got new waders and new rods for Christmas. I would love to bring my 3 man cataraft that is set up for fishing. Will do everything a drift boat will do and more.

I havent been back to CO in many years. I lived in Dillon and Frisco as a pre-teen. My parents were good friends with the original owners of the Moose Jaw in Frisco. I dont know if it is still there. My Mom worked at Climax and my dad worked in the mill. I went to 5th and 6th grade at Dillon Valley Elementary and havent been back since.

Any info on some good floats would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to do some hike in trips up in the Indian Peaks area.

Thanks in advance,

-Joe

·
Registered
98 Posts
You didn't say where in Colorado you would be visiting, but I assume it would be in the Dillon Frisco area. Water levels in our rivers may be an issue this summer (looks like it won't be any better than last summer.) However, the Colorado from Pumphouse on down to Radium, or all the way down to Dotsero will probably have floatable water this summer.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
If the water levels are going to be low then float the Blue from pump house for about 15mls. I hear it's great fishing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

I have no firm plans as far a particular area. I will try to keep my focus on the central and northern mountains while we are in CO. We are headed to the North Platte near Casper WY, then Yellowstone and on to the Beartooths in Southwestern MT. I would like both of them to catch trout in 3 different states.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Arkansas River near Leadville? I have heard stories about big brownies on streamers or hoppers. I also thought we might spend a day in the Indian Peaks area. The pictures of the Green Back Cuts and the great scenery have got me excited.

Thanks again in advance for any and all information.

-Joe

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hit Grays Reef on the North Platte near Alcova, WY. Very easy to float. Wade fish the canyon above Alcova.

In Colorado. Float the pumphouse run to State Bridge on the Colorado River. A simple float with maybe 2 sections of rapids that you need to be on your game but nothing crazy unless you are not paying attention and back rowing to control your speed as you enter the swifter water.

Float the Roaring Fork from Carbondale to 2 rivers is a bit of a tougher float and can keep you active on the oars, but its a great river to be on. Depending on the time in July you might be hitting the Green Drake hatch which is usually epic fishing.

For the Colorado River below Glenwood you can easily float from New Castle to Silt, or Silt to Rifle. Rowing is pretty basic for these stretches. However, water conditions will dictate if it is worth your time. It can be pretty off color at this time of year, but will vary from day to day. I personally like floating down below Glennwood in August through the end of the year. I would probably focus on other during that time if the water clarity is in question.

Arkansas can be great too for floating, but will provide some more obstacles and require a bit more experience on the "sticks".

PM me if you want some additional information or specific put in locations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts