Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering do all or most of the lakes in Colorado have Crawfish in them?

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
In most lakes 8000 feet and below, yes.

I'll add that the mountain lakes with mudbugs tend to have bigger, better tasting fish.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Probably. One of my buddies turned me on to fishing crayfish patterns under an indicator like a nymph and it kills, especially at spinney and eleven mile.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Probably. One of my buddies turned me on to fishing crayfish patterns under an indicator like a nymph and it kills, especially at spinney and eleven mile.
I would like more info on this. do you add weight under the indicator? what's the distance between your indicator and the crayfish pattern? Any retrieve, or just let it sit there and wait for the indicator to disappear?

I'd like to give this a shot

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I would like more info on this. do you add weight under the indicator? what's the distance between your indicator and the crayfish pattern? Any retrieve, or just let it sit there and wait for the indicator to disappear?

I'd like to give this a shot
I fish it just like I fish my nymphs. I have some weighted and some unweighted craw patterns. Every once in a while I'll twitch it or whatever, maybe give it a slow pull and let it sink again. For the most part just let it chill. The water usually puts some action on your rig. At places like spinney or eleven mile, typically I will fish two or three flies with my bottom fly a foot off the bottom. If I'm using an unweighted craw I'll usually put it with a couple heavy beadhead nymphs like copper johns or something.sometimes I'll have as much as twenty feet between my indicator and bottom fly it just depends on the situation. You can put a small split shot right above your fly. Literally pushed down next to the eye of your hook so it works like a temporary beadhead. Unweighted is better if you can get away with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts