Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started fly tying, and in addition to tying traditional patterns, have had some fun just tying up something that seemed buggy and cool out of my own fevered imagination. Has anyone done this and caught fish?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
as long as it resembles something close to what fish might be feeding on. Theres a fly i've been playing around with lately called a palamino. It immitates a midge coming out of the schuck. However, the tradition variety is pretty basic. Just a small chenile strip attached to a hook, palmered with dubbing and then cased with antron. however, I have been using egg yarn, around the tail to top the chenile which shows a lot more of a molting image. Another one Ive played around with this winter is called a lazer larva. I took the standard old lace larva patterns and decided to top the black thread with a strand of small red ultra wire. That little flash of red under the clear lace give both flash and an image of a blood worm molting into a black midge. The more you get into it, you will do this with hundreds of differant patterns. Tying is all about personalization, but just don't grab a handful of scrap materials wrap it around a hook; call it macaroni and expect that to catch fish!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Oh yes! I was working at the bench a couple of weeks ago, wanting to tie some prince nymphs. I didn't have all the right materials, so I started tying a bunch of flies that I now proudly call, "The Dark Prince" (not to be confused with the Prince of Darkness....that would be bad ;)
I took the fly up to the upper Arkansas and have absolutely wailed on the fish up there! I came back home, tied up a bunch more in different sizes, and it's now at the top of my early spring/late winter go to flies. Experimentation is where the majority of good flies come from - don't be afraid to fish anything that you build - you just never know!

M

·
0 Posts
Absolutely! When I was 13, I tied hot pink bunny flies on a trip to Alaska. The guides laughed at me until the fly hit the water. Also tied something with a green maribou tail, green chenille body, and tinsel over the top (like a humpy). Caught the biggest rainbow on the trip.

Over the years, I've learned that an elk hair caddis can be subsitituted with a "hank of hair" (skip the body and just tie the elk hair on the hook - call me lazy). Try a "poly pro humpy" (a humpy using tan polypro instead of deer hair).

I say go wild and try it. Worse you can do is get skunked!

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I guess it's similar in concept to my mutant flies--flies that I tie that are poorly done and don't quite look like those in the store. I've been told on a previous thread to keep them around. They sure do look buggy but I haven't had a chance to use them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys. Can't wait to try some of my self-tied flies, both conventional (I think I've tied some decent Hares Ears and Pheasant Tails) and fantasy (blue poodle, albino caddis)....

·
Registered
297 Posts
ok, what's a blue poodle look like??? ;D
You've gotta give us a report the instant you latch onto anything with that one!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts