Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been fishing all my life-never have owned a pair of expensive sunglasses-Costa, Amphibia, Ray Bans, etc. I've got some Strike King glasses and they work just great-cost me $20.

So my question is-are the $200-300 sunglasses that much better? Because I sit on them and they break or I lose them and I can't bring myself to do that with a really expensive pair.

I've tried some on in the store and they don't seem any different. School me.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
nah man. anything polarized honestly. although if you have 250 dollar costas on people automatically know you are one badass fisherman. especially if you have on a huk shirt and those omni shade pants.....

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
No IMO but glass lenses are super nice.
I've had two pair of Costas with 580 glass. Not a fan of Costa. Warranty is pretty shitty. Was $120 to replace a lens after it broke (my fault it broke).
Like my Maui Jims now.... Found a really good deal on them. Around $100 I think.

Check out cabelz if you get a high $$ pair. Helps a ton from losing them. They have a float you can even add also.

It is hard to scratch glass...
Next pair will be Smiths with glass also.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I've indulged in expensive sunglasses for a long time. I've had many pairs of Ray Ban, Bole, Maui Jim, Native, you name it. I now have 2 pair of Costa, and I honestly can't see me ever buying anything else.

Used them for the first time fishing last week at Powell. Water is usually pretty clear up there, but we did fish past the mudline as well. I could see more with the Costa's than anything I have ever worn. Saw all sorts more fish than my dad who was wearing Rx Ray Ban's that were also polarized. I am convinced that a couple of times they allowed me to avoid a whale of a rock just under the surface in the cloudy water.

I have always liked good sunglasses, but I can't say enough about these Costa's. I think they are by far in a league of their own.

·
Registered
10 Posts
After fishing for 8 plus hours a day and wearing inexspensive sunglasses my eyes would be wore out and painful. Then I invested in a pair of quality sunglasses and didn't have near the pain or fatigue. This was my exsperience with quality sunglasses.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thank you for starting this thread Kirbydog. I have always had polarized glasses under $50 and have done well. However, I need prescription glasses now and I am thinking about getting progressive sunglasses in polarized; either way in this case they will be somewhat expensive.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I own some expensive shades for fishing and I use them only for fishing that way I hope not to damage them on every day use.

I like GLASS lenses because they are less likely to scratch so I can clean them on the water without much concern of scratching. The down side to glass lenses are the weight, they do get heavy and can be bothersome to some peeps.

Do you need to pay a couple of hundred bucks for polarized shades, NO.
Do you need a boat to fish, NO.
Do you need 3 rods and reels(or more) to fish, NO.
Do we need 1000's of dollars of gear to fish, NO.

Point is spend money how you see fit for your comfort and satisfaction.

FYI Costa's will make you a better fisherman.::)

LOL

·
Registered
902 Posts
I got a pair of Costas after my buddy who's a dollar menu guy (more money for fishing) recommended them. I only wear them fishing as well. But now I don't like my cheap car glasses anymore. I keep my Costas in their case in my striker ice suit during winter.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
PS

Will say the first pair of expensive glasses I bought for fishing were glass lenses and I used them for 14+ yrs. The only reason I am not using them to this day is that a lens fell out into the water and disappeared.

I bought those because the cheap ones(10-50$) I was buying would get all scratched up (plastic lenses) because of lack of care. I would go through a couple pair a year so I decided to get a nice pair and take care of those.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
When I worked retail, I'd always encourage customers to buy mid level gear, at the least.

The cheapos will work, as many have stated. As was also stated, the cheap plastic lenses also scratch easily, so you're likely replacing them annually. If you add up the cost over 5 years of replacing them, you've likely paid for a nice, mid-level pair of shades.

Glass is king, but like others have mentioned, can be heavy and can be expensive to replace/repair.

Also, as CF mentioned, buy up to what you can afford. This is another thing I would tell customers. If you're going to be serious about whatever it is you're making a purchase for, get the best that you can afford. You might actually be surprised in the difference of quality.

With shades, I get the most eye protection in the lenses that I can afford. I wear a $140 pair of Spys. They're equipped with their (at the time) most advanced lenses for UV protection and light filtering. Again, they're not top of the line as far as fishing glasses go, but they were the best I could afford, and they work.

·
Registered
16,613 Posts
Whatever you get, they gotta be MIRRORED. Cool breeze-

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have had 2 pair of Costas, both pairs have had issues with the rubber ear protection wearing off. As stated earlier the warranty sucks says lifetime but the replacement cost is very high. Have had a few pair of natives no glass but good glasses and a awesome warranty $30 no matter who's fault and they send you a new pair.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I have had 2 pair of Costas, both pairs have had issues with the rubber ear protection wearing off. As stated earlier the warranty sucks says lifetime but the replacement cost is very high. Have had a few pair of natives no glass but good glasses and a awesome warranty $30 no matter who's fault and they send you a new pair.
Yep mine too... Less than 6 months old. That was after they replaced the lens that I broke. That's when I sold them. They weren't willing to help out at all.
Glasses retail for $250.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
Expensive sunglasses are super super overrated. I been wearing cheapies for a long time because i lose **** and my dogs used to chew on them. I am always able to see into the water equally if not better than all my friends who overpay for theirs....with just polarized walmart glasses.

There is a good argument for the glass vs plastic though....and that's about the only argument there is for expensive glasses in my opinion. Scratches on the lenses suck....but if you are only buying $15 glasses, you could buy a 10 month supply and still not pay as much as you would for smiths or whatever.

My dogs stopped chewing on my **** a little bit ago so i got some of these http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Eye_Surrender_Sunglasses/catpage-ESS.html and love em. Just gotta be careful not to scratch the plastic.

The only other type of expensive sunglasses i liked was the natives....because of the cheap replacement cost...but that's plastic as well. I drop my glasses enough to know that I probably wouldn't do well with glass lol

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
There should be another thread started regarding the differing lens colors and which conditions they work best in!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
There are some inexpensive glass lenses out there. I have a pair but do not remember the brand name. I will check and report back tomorrow with the brand name.

The only negative about those are I get distortion on the outer edge of the lens.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Lots of talk about the Costa warranty, I will just say my experience is different. The lenses in my glasses turned cloudy. Costa said it was a manufacture defect. The pair I had was on back order. They let me choose any replacement frame/glass style I wanted. I think they charged me something like $8 for postage.

And if you haven't tried the good lenses in a fishing situation, you really don't have a baseline to compare to the lower quality brands. There is no comparison.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
And if you haven't tried the good lenses in a fishing situation, you really don't have a baseline to compare to the lower quality brands. There is no comparison.
I agree with this. As a matter of fact, I had a really high end pair of glasses I bought on close out. I lost them somehow at Lake Powell, so I had to buy a "cheap" (they weren't cost cheap) pair at one of the marina shops. Night and day difference. I kept them as a spare, in case I needed them. Used them again once after having my Spys, and man....not great.

·
Registered
63 Posts
you only have one pair of eyes, why use cheap glasses? Take care of them and they take care of you. Maui Jim has an excellent warranty policy. The polarization is in between layers, not on the outside, where it can be destroyed by cleaning. I have several pairs of high end sunglasses, one pair since the early nineties. When you spend money on good equipment, keep track of it. Not hard.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts