Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Do It Yourselfer Special

4K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  slayerfish 
#1 ·
Ok, so all this ice-fishing chatter is getting me thinking. I've had a few weeks to research ice-augers, huts and all the fancy gadgetry that we spend money on to help prevent us from freezing our asses off, falling and even some that may help catch fish.

What are some of the coolest home-made ideas you've seen during your ice-fishing adventures, you've found goofing around on the internet or perhaps you've created yourself?

Here's one I found while looking at ice-cleats on the web:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ice-Fishing-Cleats/

#3 ·
For me it has to be turning my Lowrance fishfinder into an ice unit. Once you have watched fish on a good screen like that, it's tough to go back to a vex. I still use both, but love that lowrance.

The rest of my stuff is not homemade lol

#5 ·
Well, it's overkill, but I use an HDS 7. It's one of the ones on my boat. I built the thing in a 3 gallon bucket and it works great. Watching those fish on a normal screen is so crazy, you can really tell the size. I am super excited for ice this year.

#8 · (Edited)
I mounted rod holders from my boat onto a platform constructed by 2" by 4" section. That contraption is not exactly cost effective, but it is very sturdy compared to what you might buy for $15 or less.

#18 · (Edited)
Made some ice rods from broken tops and handles from Uncle Milty back in the day. I caught more big fish on those junkers rods compared to the fancy new ice rods I have now. Back then no flasher or map just dead sticking bait and moving alot. Then again back then we had 11 Mile to ourselves for 3-4 weeks first ice before the masses would show.

#21 ·
Got to Iceshanty.com and check out the invention page. All sorts of cool things on there. I have jaw jackers now, but before I had the money to buy them I made my own out of the red rod holders and a metal coat hanger. They worked like a charm with stiff rods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.