Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do Smallmouths hit spinners?

im talkin about the regular spinner LM type lures, buzzbaits .. not roostertail or mepps kind ... i have alot of strike kings, various colors

never caught a smallie on one, i guess i may find out tomorrow morning

what colors are best for slight overcast morning with storm headin in

Also, palomar knot or swivel ??

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
The first year aurora res was open we caught ALOT of smallies on Spinnerbaits. They werent the big ones but the ones made for crappie.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Smallies will crush a spinnerbait, and they aren't adverse to hammering the odd buzzbait.  It's a stereotype, but try a white double willow spinnerbait if the water is clear, or a chartreuse double willow if the water isn't clear.  Use slightly smaller sizes than you would for largemouth, but remember, they are bass and they aren't shy about bushwhacking a fairly large bait.

You'll have to play with your retrieve speed. Sometimes a slow steady grind works, sometimes they want something more erratic. Things get interesting, especially in summer and fall, when they want a spinnerbait burned right below the surface...the kind of surface strikes that make your knees go crack!

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I've always had luck fishing them fast when going for smallies... willow blades too. But I havent targetted them in Colorado, and as I have found about alot of my tactics they need adjusted for here.

·
Registered
16,683 Posts
When I was a kid, we always caught bass on mepps spinners with the hairy treble-they hammered those things.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
hairy treble
Do you get one of these when you buy the Wonderboner?

Sorry for the hi-jack. The kid in me had to come out for this one.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
413 Posts
Yes that hit spinners I have landed several this year on spinner and buzzbait I think you just have to work a little harder to find them but the LM are little more agressive IMO with the buzzbaits.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i tried a couple this morning. small strike king w/ blue/black skirt

had a few nibbles, but i think the skirt was a little too big for the lure. no hook ups. so i switched to smaller lures

then the sun came out, the bass totally disappeared. was hopin for clouds this mornin ....... uuggggh, still I managed to catch about 15 total (early bass & some rainbows)

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
dogkatcher said:
had a few nibbles, but i think the skirt was a little too big for the lure. no hook ups. so i switched to smaller lures
When fish are short striking like that add a trailer hook, you will catch them short srtikes.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I've caught smallies on all of the same lures I've caught largemouth on. This includes inline spinners, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits.

as well as...spoons, plastic worms, senkos, tubes, crankbaits, etc etc etc etc.

·
Registered
246 Posts
As Slayerfish suggests, smallmouth hammer regular spinners with "hairy" trebles. Several years ago at McPhee my boat partner hammered them in House Creek with a 1/4 ounce yellow bodied/golded bladed Panther Martin with a yellow hairy treble and easily won the tournament. I didn't take my "trout stuff" and with plastics placed way behind.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts