Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we have any lakes that are managed as trophy fisheries? I really can't think of any. The closet I could think would be Quincy. Not really sure it's 'managed' as such but due to rules and regs.

Wonder how much a truck full of baby Muskies (Real muskies, Not hybrid) would cost :) :) Would love to see them put some in there, or anywhere and manage to it.
Any thoughts?
[me=Jay] [/me]

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Hell NO! Put them in PBlo to help get rid of the Dinks! Leave Quincy alone its doing nice since they stopped the Tiger stocking. Let it be the Trophy LM & SM lake! I see 1-2 Muskie left in that lake one is pretty good size the other is average.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Public? Not that I can think of. Especially not warmwater. Ladora is good due to rigid enforcement. People can whine about the rangers all day but they keep it legit. Same with Quincy.

We could have some real nice lakes if a) people got hip b) money grew on trees.

Yeah, we are screwed. ::)

I am not real into the idea of taking a good lake and messing with it. I would rather see 'skis in some other water than the Q, 'cause the Q is, as George pointed out, doing pretty good. But that is part of human nature I guess... :-\

Man, I wish we had more emoticons. What the hell does this one mean? O0

Yeah, there are ton of rats in P-Lo, I would rather see them in there!

Places like Ladora and Swift ponds show what even small water can do here. Our biggest issue is too many folks for too little water. Ok, going to try it again... O0 ...well, no, didn't work that time either.

SS

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Sad but true, Trophy management on Colo. lakes equals if they get large enough to eat a precious rainbow or kokanee take off the limits and open it up to spearfishing or worse (net killing the very small percentage of slow growing large fish in Blue mesa). At the Granby meeting when we tried to get a trophy status on the lake by just limiting large fish to one, it was like pulling teeth on a squirmin Sherman, and even after it was agreed it would have no impact on the biology of the lake. With a year round fishery of over 400 lake trout anglers a week and out of staters that travel here every year for lakers that would give granby the trophy status it deserves.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
HOGMASTER said:
Hell NO! Put them in PBlo to help get rid of the Dinks! Leave Quincy alone its doing nice since they stopped the Tiger stocking. Let it be the Trophy LM & SM lake! I see 1-2 Muskie left in that lake one is pretty good size the other is average.
Pueblo already has muskie and pike...just haven't taken hold for some reason. You would think they would get huge and prolific in there because of all the forage...

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Before this years RETARDED rules and regs, Crawford had a 1 fish over 36" limit on pike as did a few other lakes. Now the regs are all unlimited take :mad:

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I would say we have "trophy fisheries"; but for the most part not specifically managed, species specific, trophy lakes (per-say). Rivers are a different story. Close would be something like Spinney Mountain Res.. But I'm mainly talking about warm-water fisheries, though. Because these are the ones, I think, could really use the species specific trophy management. I would say we have some very well managed lakes here in Colorado (thanks to our DOW biologist), but I would also counter that by saying we have some poorly manged lakes too. But hands down; it is very expensive, time consuming, a lot of red tape, and there is soo much to managing a lake for trophy fishing...so it is difficult, at times, for our DOW to do it (which I can understand).

I think they have the trout's bases covered..
I would like to see some trophy Pike manged lakes..
And a few trophy Bass fisheries too (one with a very high potential here in Pueblo is Valco Ponds).

D.J.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
djfisherman2 said:
I would say we have "trophy fisheries"; but for the most part not specifically managed, species specific, trophy lakes (per-say). Rivers are a different story. Close would be something like Spinney Mountain Res.. But I'm mainly talking about warm-water fisheries, though. Because these are the ones, I think, could really use the species specific trophy management. I would say we have some very well managed lakes here in Colorado (thanks to our DOW biologist), but I would also counter that by saying we have some poorly manged lakes too. But hands down; it is very expensive, time consuming, a lot of red tape, and there is soo much to managing a lake for trophy fishing...so it is difficult, at times, for our DOW to do it (which I can understand).

And a few trophy Bass fisheries too (one with a very high potential here in Pueblo is Valco Ponds).

D.J.
Dammit man! Don't be giving away the ponds secrets!!! Nothing in Valco but dinks!!! ;D

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Deuceu72 said:
djfisherman2 said:

D.J.
Dammit man! Don't be giving away the ponds secrets!!! Nothing in Valco but dinks!!! ;D
:D :D With all the dinks, and the fact there are no fish in there...is exactly why I said potential if it was actually managed. But otherwise it'll just stay bluegill & carp ponds... ;D

D.J.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes, Spinney for trout, one pond at St Vrain for Bass, Williams Fork for Pike, the Delaney Buttes for trout, I'm sure there are more...anyone else care to add to the list??

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Thumper said:
Yes, Spinney for trout, one pond at St Vrain for Bass, Williams Fork for Pike, the Delaney Buttes for trout, I'm sure there are more...anyone else care to add to the list??
Isn't there a bounty to kill all the pike at the fork ?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
It'll likely never happen, but I wish Antero would be managed as a trophy trout lake. 10+ pounders every year, some of them caught by kids.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
They should have put real muskies in elevenmile and spinney instead of pike. They don't spawn as successfully so they would have coexisted with the those two fisheries better. Plus people would have had a shot at some 45 lb fish. :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
sswan said:
The Spinney pike are a result of bucket biology, aren't they?
I don't think so. They were originally stocked in 11 Mile by the DOW and my recollection is they were in the river when Spinney was constructed.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Rivrunnr1 said:
HOGMASTER said:
Pueblo already has muskie and pike...just haven't taken hold for some reason. You would think they would get huge and prolific in there because of all the forage...

It's to hot in P-lo. Pike especially big pike hate 70 degree water.

On a side note Have you ever caught any pike from P-lo rivrunnr1?

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
sswan said:
The Spinney pike are a result of bucket biology, aren't they?
I don't think so. They were originally stocked in 11 Mile by the DOW and my recollection is they were in the river when Spinney was constructed.
Could be. Wouldn't they be expected in the river above Spinney, then, as well? I know that pike do thrive in rivers where I'm from in Michigan. And I have seen pike remains way downstream on the river below Sportsmans Paradise.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts