Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think it is bad to with hold info before a tournament. I love to help people catch fish but when there is money on the line I think it's a different story. I don't want to brag but I have had some success at the Elevenmile pike tourny and I feel like that is because I have put maybe a 1000 hours of time on that body of water. What do you guys think?

I used to think that the next state record Pike would come out of Elevenmile. Now I am not so sure. I had a body who I trust say he saw a pike everybit of 30 lbs near goose insland a couple of years back. I hooked a fish that I feel could have been a state record but the more I think about it the more I know I didn't get a good look at her. This is a theory I would like to run by some of you expert fisherman. Maybe you can help. I feel that there is many state record pike in Elevenmile. How many I don't know but I feel there is a lot. Any way I don't think anybody will catch one and the reason they won't is because of the salmon. My theory is the big pike (THE TRUE GIANTS) become active about the same time salmon start to run and therefore have millions of dead salmon to choose from to eat.I have no proof other then my buddy seeing some guy ONE TIME snag a 20lb pike in the back trying to snag salmon. Wha do you guys think?
Neil Swarmer

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have not caught the next monster at 11 mile. I do dream of catching any monster. I do know that the big hens in there have certain times of the year that they are more vulnerable then others. This is depicted by water temperature and time of year more than anything. The fall push to feed up before winter is a tough sell as the bounty of food from dying or dead kokes makes a fat fish tough to catch. I also think a fish when presented with the right bait in the right mood can be caught regardless of how full her bounty is. Is giving info away before a tourney bad, NO. Do you want to help other fishermen and women do well and share your knowledge and passion of the outdoors, maybe. My request is when done with your tourney, share you experience. Tell us how you targeted the monster, how many fish did you see, get bumped by, and put in the boat. Then keep swingin that arm spring and fall both in search for one of your dreams, the next state record Pike from 11 mile, cause she is in there.
Craig

·
Registered
295 Posts
Waterwolves for what it's worth, I think from reading your posts that you have put in your time and should should be very proud of being such an accomplished pike fisherman at 11-mile. Seroiusly you have had success on that lake like no one I know and I have seen the pics to prove it. You are the 11mile pike king lol.

In my opinion you have done a good job on this site by giving tips here and there but not giving away secrets. I would also be hesitant to give out info as well. Tips and pointers sure but I wouldn't feel bad about keeping the specifics to yourself. That lake gets a ton of pressure as it is.

Also I think that in just about any large body of water that holds pike statewide there are #'s of record fish in every single one. In my opinion when the pike are at that size 40-45"+ they are exclusivly a cold water fish and only come shallow for the spawn. So they are hard to target

Good luck in the tourney I am sure you will do great.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I don't think there is anything that is really wrong for with holding information before a tournament. Its a personal decision to share any information. I hope people share with me but if they don't thats ok too.

Like someone else said, A person still needs to catch the fish.\

Dan

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Abomb that is pretty nice of you to say. Blush ;D I guess I should also say that there is a few people I think know the lake a little better then me. You know it's funny when I first started i couldn't even see a pike let alone catch one. It was months before I caught one then it was weeks before I caught another.LOL. It really is all about putting time on the water.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
If you are fishing the Tournament definately with hold any info that is to your advantage! Sharing information is always upto the person. No one is being forced to share their fishing reports or anything else, its just depends on situation and the person.
You may be right about the salmon run.

·
Registered
16,693 Posts
The big pike/spawning salmon theory sounds right.I have noticed that the big macs are all over the spawning salmon at granby in the fall.The spawning salmon are vulnerable and make an easy meal for the big guys!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I fished semi pro bass years ago and we never told any one anything until the tournament was done. We would not even take our baits out of the water if a boat was passing near by.

·
Registered
16,693 Posts
I'd even go as far as telling them the wrong info-when moneys on the line anything goes,IMO. You think the other guys are gonna tell YOU the hot tip? No way,man.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
keeping some stuff to ones self is totaly ok in my book especially before some sort of competition

good luck at the tourny and i hope to see some pics of the big one

F

·
0 Posts
I think if someone wants to catch fish tournament or not ...they have to put there time in .....I catch more lm bass over 5lbs a year then anyone I personally know ...people always ask me where I fish and what im fishing with ....its like dude ive spent every summer of since grade school learning colorado bass ...why would I give you 20 years of information at the drop of a hat ....If its something that had money involved ....HELL NO .....I would tell them to tournament was at spinney this year .....We had our team name of a 3v3 basketball tourny a couple years ago as bye ...only one team showed up for the first round games ...hahahahha

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
fishinguitars said:
I think if someone wants to catch fish tournament or not ...they have to put there time in .....I catch more lm bass over 5lbs a year then anyone I personally know ...people always ask me where I fish and what im fishing with ....its like dude ive spent every summer of since grade school learning colorado bass ...why would I give you 20 years of information at the drop of a hat ....If its something that had money involved ....HELL NO .....I would tell them to tournament was at spinney this year .....We had our team name of a 3v3 basketball tourny a couple years ago as bye ...only one team showed up for the first round games ...hahahahha
thats playing dirty I LIKE IT !!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
waterwolves - It does take hours and hours to figure those pike out and if you are going to fish the tournament why would you share what you have learned over the years. People think they are easy to catch and it takes them years to figure out you have to time it right, know where to find them, and propper presentation for getting bit. Even then there is no guarantee.

I think Sbebdllh is right in that the big females, possible state records, are cold water fish and during the summer months spend most of their time deeper and out of reach from most anglers. With the exceptions being Spring and Fall. For those fish to remain that big they continuously have to eat, no matter what time of year. If you read the 11-mile management plan, posted on DOW site, and numerous other places it speaks to the forage base in 11-mile and based on stomach samples of numerous fish they concluded that the main forage base for pike in 11-mile is Rainbow Trout. I'm sure those big girls look forward to the salmon run to bulk up for winter, but I believe most of the year they are focused on trout.

I would say that 11-Mile, Williams Fork, Stagecoach, Possibly Taylor, even Spinney each have good potential to yeild a state record. A fish caught last march through the ice at Stagecoach would have broken the current state record from Willies Fork, but it was released. It is however the new C&R state record.

Waterwolves - See you on September 10th. Were you there last year? If so, How'd you do?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rip lip said:
I'm sure those big girls look forward to the salmon run to bulk up for winter, but I believe most of the year they are focused on trout. 

Waterwolves - See you on September 10th.  Were you there last year?  If so, How'd you do?
I think most big pike are focused on trout.(anything in the 10-20lb range) I have caught many many pike with trout in their bellys. One girl had 9 baby trout in her. I have only caught one pike that had a salmon in her belly. But when I am talking MONSTER PIKE I am talking 48, 49, Maybe 50 inches and anywhere from 30 to 40 pounds. IMHO I don't think they can eat trout. I have several reasons for thinking this and here they are.

First a fish of that size would need something that would give them sufficent energy. A trout could do it just as well as a salmon. But a half dead Salmon twitching on the lake bottom would make them waste zero energy eating them.
Second pike are scavangers. This does not mean they wont go out on a hunt but if an easy meal presents itself I see no reason for a Monster pike not to eat.
Third (and this is only my threory) Pike are ambush killers. Which means they have to hide. I think MONSTER PIKE have problems hiding. A 35 lb 48 inch pike is not going to hide behind anything.
Fourth Monster pike are what, I am guessing here, but 11-13 years old. They are old and what happens to old things. They get slow.
I very well could be wrong just my thoughts on it.

I did fish the tourny last year and I came in second. I really feel I got lucky though because I didn't fish Elevenmile at all last fall before the tourny and I was fishing around a lot of people I just knew a little bit more about the contours of the area I was fishing. The wind picked up and I moved to a spot I thought was a good ambush spot and banged a 8 lb pike. I contined to fish this ambush spot and I kept saying to my wife i know there is a bigger girl on this spot and sure enough the next cast produced a 12 lb pike. All in All I caught 28 lbs that day. (Not all on that spot just those two)

Good luck rip lip at the tourny if I can come in second anybody can do well.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Waterwolves - I completely agree with your theories and agree that those Grande pike are more scavangers than ambush and atack feeders. That is why dead bait accounts for many grande pike every year. After all it is all about efficiency and a big, big pike would rather pick up a nice sized dead salmon over chasing down a stocker trout.

Congrats on your second place last year. Hopefully you will be there next weekend and can improve on your results. I would love to see someone win that Lund although the chances are pretty slim, buy you never know. I would like to introduce myself if the opportunity presents itself. What kind of Boat will you be in? I will be in a green and gray Tracker.

Ciao!!!

D

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't feel bad. You're entitled to share as much, or as little, information as you want, with whomever you want. That knowledge was hard earned. Do with it what you feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i agree with don. do what your conciense tell you. i personally would share. but i have never been in that situation.

D

·
0 Posts
For me, exactly how much I share depends on a whole lot of factors, most important being how responsibly I think the information will be used.  For instance, I'm not going to share hard earned information about the best lures, presentations, and locations on a favorite piece of water with a nitwit that I think will kill every decent fish he manages to catch.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
rip lip said:
Waterwolves - I completely agree with your theories and agree that those Grande pike are more scavangers than ambush and atack feeders.  That is why dead bait accounts for many grande pike every year.  After all it is all about efficiency and a big, big pike would rather pick up a nice sized dead salmon over chasing down a stocker trout. 

Congrats on your second place last year.  Hopefully you will be there next weekend and can improve on your results.  I would love to see someone win that Lund although the chances are pretty slim, buy you never know.  I would like to introduce myself if the opportunity presents itself.  What kind of Boat will you be in?  I will be in a green and gray Tracker. 

Ciao!!!
I will be in a 16 ft Lowe with my wife. I will keep my eyes peeled for that green and gray Tracker. It would be cool to say hello to a fellow pike man.

·
Registered
24,634 Posts
Waterwolves...

I wouldnt lose any sleep over this one...you have put in the time to get the expertise on the fishing spot...why should everyone reap the benefits...its like the morons at a traffic jam that go up ahead in the right or left lane and act like they deserve to cut in while you have patiently waited your turn...get in line and put in the time like everyone else...ask a lot of dumb questions and then they wont ask you...do pike have sharp teeth?...and do you think 4 pound line with no leader will be strong enough for the tournament (because I want to catch some rainbows if the pike arent biting)...ought to end any speculative questions for you during the pretournament phase...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts