Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kind of miss the old NBA when you had a dominant team like Magics Lakers, Birds Celtics or Jordans Bulls.

I have been watching alot of hoops the last two weeks and there isn't team now that wouldn't get smoked by the above three!! Have the Lakers have won the last two years by default?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I have not since witnessed some one play Like MJ... His jump shot was the greatest I have ever seen. His leap was far more greater than anyone in the league. And his drive to the basket was unreal.
D-Rose misses every shot he takes from the field and can only lay up the ball. I'm a Bulls fan hard core. But this team isn't no where half the dynasty the Bulls where when they had Jordan, Pippen, Paxon, Kerr, Rodman, Grant, Cartwright, or KuKoc. Lets go Blackhawks,.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weezy said:
What parity are you talking about?

Lakers and Spurs have 9 of the last 12 titles :D
Those earlier Spurs teams were pretty good, but no way could they beat the three I listed above. Lakers have been a really good team in a very watered down league! Although I do put Kobe in the class of the above mentioned. I'm not sure they can get out of the west this year?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Benson said:
I have not since witnessed some one play Like MJ... His jump shot was the greatest I have ever seen. His leap was far more greater than anyone in the league. And his drive to the basket was unreal.
D-Rose misses every shot he takes from the field and can only lay up the ball. I'm a Bulls fan hard core. But this team isn't no where half the dynasty the Bulls where when they had Jordan, Pippen, Paxon, Kerr, Rodman, Grant, Cartwright, or KuKoc. Lets go Blackhawks,.
Jordan.............best player ever.

With that being said, he, IMO, did not have the best jump shot ever. I would give that to Ray Allen or Reggie Miller........

He also wasn't the greatest leaper either..........Spud Webb had a vertical leap of 52 inches!

Jordan was just the best all around.............and especially in the clutch.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Neal/CO said:
Weezy said:
What parity are you talking about?

Lakers and Spurs have 9 of the last 12 titles :D
Those earlier Spurs teams were pretty good, but no way could they beat the three I listed above. Lakers have been a really good team in a very watered down league! Although I do put Kobe in the class of the above mentioned. I'm not sure they can get out of the west this year?
Maybe they wouldn't compete with your all time great teams - but you can't argue with 9/12 titles being dominant over the NBA

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
the NBA isn't the same... Can you imagine Bird and Magic lobbying to be on the same team? Hell no they hated each other, even after they started to like each other they knew they had to hate each other during the season. That was back in the day where players had pride for the name on the front of the jersey not just the name on the back.

Todays NBA has a few real basketball players and the rest is made up of muffs and journey men. Just like game two of the Nuggets series when Perkins takes out Chandler.... Any playoff team from the 80's or early 90's **** would have hit the fan. Not for the Nuggets......

Todays NBA is a weak watered down version of the great basketball we had in the 80's and early 90's.....

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
dieseldoctor said:
the NBA isn't the same... Can you imagine Bird and Magic lobbying to be on the same team? Hell no they hated each other, even after they started to like each other they knew they had to hate each other during the season. That was back in the day where players had pride for the name on the front of the jersey not just the name on the back.

Todays NBA has a few real basketball players and the rest is made up of muffs and journey men. Just like game two of the Nuggets series when Perkins takes out Chandler.... Any playoff team from the 80's or early 90's **** would have hit the fan. Not for the Nuggets......

Todays NBA is a weak watered down version of the great basketball we had in the 80's and early 90's.....
Players demanding trades is nothing new - Magic himself went through the same thing...

"Coming off a disappointing 1980-81 campaign where the Lakers failed to defend their title, losing in the first round of the playoffs to the Houston Rockets, the Lakers started off the 1981-82 season winning. But under Head Coach Paul Westhead the fast-breaking style of the previous years appeared to be replaced by a more deliberate offensive game plan focusing on the half-court effectiveness of Abdul-Jabbar. While far from being the only player critical of the new offense, Johnson was the first to voice his concerns publicly. After a road win against the Utah Jazz, Johnson, who earlier had a verbal altercation with Westhead, demanded a trade from the team. Laker Owner Jerry Buss instead fired Westhead, inviting league-wide scorn. For perhaps the first time in his career, Johnson found himself being booed by fans across the league, even in Los Angeles. The controversy was shortlived; Westhead was replaced by Assistant Coach and former broadcaster Pat Riley, and Johnson and the Lakers went on to win the 1982 NBA Title."

http://www.barrystickets.com/lakers/lakers-players/magic-johnson.php

1 - 8 of 8 Posts