Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Do you release, occaisionally eat, or take bag limit?

• Release All Fish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take Home Bag Limit To Eat Or Give Away

• Take Home Only Trophies To Mount Or Eat

• Other...please explain with reply post

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I chose option 2 most of the time I release all fish unless I am going to eat them or they are mortally wounded (in legal bag / possesion waters ONLY). Also I will take home a larger fish ONLY if I will eat it or am going to mount it. I release roughly 70% of the larger "brood" fish caught to replentish fisheries naturally or for you to catch next time. What your Opinion?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I HAVENT KEPT A TROUT IN THREE YEARS. IVE NEVER KEPT A BASS . I WOULD KEEP SOME CATFISH IF I EVER COLUD CATCH THEM BUT THAT IS A DIFFERENT TOPIC ALL TOGETHER

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i eat a lot of fish and like to keep some in the freezer in case i have company or a hankern for fish with out the oppurtunity to go catch some. but i dont intentionaly take home "limits". i have a few high mountain lakes that are just loaded with small brookies and here i take a limit every time when you can catch 50-70 fish in an afternoon any time i dont think im going to hurt the population. hopefully the numbers will come down and the size might go up

with the trout limit being 4 state wide there are many times i will take the limit

walleye and catfish have fairly high limits down here and i cant think of a time i would need a limit of either except maybe a big family and friends get together but that would be rare

with crappie and sunfish i would on ocasion keep 15 or so for a nice meal but i havent found a lake that consistantly produces enough on a regular basis to fell comfertable doing this

on larger lakes ill keep more and larger fish than i would from smaller ponds, like with cats on a lake the size of brush hollow i keep just about every cat big enough to clean (16 inches or so) but if i caught a 8lb plus cat i would release it on something like pueblo res i would keep those bigger fish but on small farm ponds that are only a few acres i would only keep a few 16-20 inch cats and release anything larger

in general the better a lake produces the more ill keep and the more a lake needs some help i tend to keep less fish and definatley release the larger fish

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I guess you could say I'm sorta like roadkill in this matter.

I fish the colorado river for trout a lot, and I keep between 4 and 8 a year, almost all being smaller 10-15" browns that I have mortally hooked. (I rarely mortally hook a fish though.)
In high mountain lakes, I'll generally keep a limit of the trout if the population is large. Like in most cases for brookies I keep every one I catch that is legal that isn't too huge.
At vega, a lake that grows very large stocked trout, if the fish are 10-14" and there are a ton of them like in some years I always keep a limit, but if they are 16-24" like this past year I keep a limit maybe 1 time every 4 times out which averages to 1 per trip.
I like to keep every walleye I catch at juniata until my limit is reached. I also like to keep a limit of perch from anywhere because these are destructive little buggers. For pike, I usually release everywhere because of antipike management and low populations, but sometimes I will keep one around 20" or so.
I don't keep bass anymore for a few reasons, one top reason is they suck.
I keep only catfish 3 pounds or under if they are over that they are bad tasting.
It's all about harvesting selectively!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a great post TroutFishingBear now that is selective eating..also I think it is great you actually think about how your bag / possession will effect each fishery and species...I do the same to some degree as well.

·
Registered
664 Posts
the only freshwater fish I like to eat are 'bows and salmon. I'll keep a 'bow on occasion to grill...has to be at least 12". I probably take one fish home per 25 I catch.

F

·
0 Posts
just depends with me ...i rarely go fishing with taking some home to eat in mind with the exception of catfish . If for some reason I dont think a fish is gonna make it ill take it home and eat it . I try not to ever let fish get in my freezer cause they tend to stay there . As far as mounting I just started and im getting my first fish back tommorow .....

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I Always throw the fish I catch back. Although I would like to keep a walleye once to eat, Ive never had one.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
the only time i bring them home is when i know someone is going to eat them

cats for my mom
wiper for my ex-girlfriend
oh perch but only for bait

but most of the time i throw them all back

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I haven't kept a fish in about 15 yrs and that was only because I brought one home for a neighbor. To be honest, I don't like to eat fish all that much. Maybe its the hassle of cleaning them. But I've got no problem with people keeping fish as long as their following the rules-well..........thats not completley true, people with bass over 15" on a stringer (its legal) that doesn't sit well with me. Ed

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Like a couple guys said earlier a while back Catch and Release into the Grease.  I do bring home alot of fish but not for personal use. 90 percent of the fish I bring home goes to my in-laws and people that im close to that dont fish. So none of them goes to waste. I've caught alot of fish this past month and i dont have one single fish in my freeze. I only eat fish the day i catch them or the day after. Only when they are still fresh. I wanna try a brown heard it was good any one wanna trade for a warm water fish LOL.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
see thats what i like
trading fish for other fish
i traded this old man in town that wanted some wiper
for some deer his son shot this past year
i think i got the better of the deal

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Speaking of venison I like deer but I really like those elk roasts....anyone want to trade a few blugill or stocker trout for an an elk roast..?
?
?
?
?
?
Didn't think so I need to go out this year and bag my own :)

Has anyone tried pronghorn? How does it taste?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well............. the wife and I mainly do the "catch & release" thing because we have only caught one fish (the 19" Brown Trout at Chatfield) that was big enough to take home and eat.
Also, we are not real big on eating fish, so, unless it is a really nice one, it goes back into the water.
When I first heard the statement, "catch & release", I really wasn't for it that much. But, when I was told why it is done a lot, I understood why.
Someday we hope to catch a nice size bass, trout or whatever and have a mount made from it.

Cody (cowboy)

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
The vast majority of fish are released. If we catch a nice walleye we will keep it. We occasionally keep a trout. We are not big fisheaters but occasionally like to sample the bounty.

Dan

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hope that I don't get beat up too bad for this but.....

I mainly fish Chatfield, if I get a keeper walleye, bass, or catfish it goes home.. You all can have ALL of the trout...

My family loves to eat fish but, we are, and have always been believers in size and amount that you can keep.

It's so funny that tonight we are eating some fish as we speak. But.... due to the poor sizes and limited amount of keepers where we fish it is a real treat.

John

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
TroutHunter said:
Has anyone tried pronghorn? How does it taste?
Pronghorn taste kinda funny, to be honest. It's got this really strong sage funk. However, I've had it with tons of spices which made it real good with a side of sticky rice. The sage funk kinda just sunk in with all the variety of flavors.

1eyeReD

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I come from a family that loves eating fish or just any game meat. Don't get me wrong, I buy salmon steaks from the store every now and then to grill up, but there's nothing like eating a fish that you caught from the wild (personal preference).

Selective harvest has been my latest practice, starting about a few years back. I eat the occasional stocker trout (I know some of you are going, "ewe") during early spring. Cooked crappie will always be welcomed on my dinner plate. I keep crappies 10" and over for mine as well as my family's tummies (my fam's fav). Too bad my favorite crappie waters have been beaten by drought. Wiper are yummy too, but I only keep enough to satisfy a few meals (15" to 20" wipers are best) unless I've got non-fishin relatives or family askin. Thanks to all the talk on this forum, I now get picky and remove the mudline on wiper meat. Whitebass are always welcomed on my plate too. Decent 18" and larger walleyes are great and I'll harvest em' any day. I guess it's a good thing that I only target em' two or three trips out of a year. Plus, I'm a poor walleye fisherman (caught less than 5 keepers this year). Brookies are good, I keep em all the time. Catfish, I'll keep if I've got someone asking for em and also only if they're big. Cleaning catfish is a pain IMO. I only harvested like two perch this year. The rest were too small so they all got eaten by bass or maybe are still surviving, I dunno. I haven't kept a largemouth in years. Haven't kept a smallie in years. I find SMB and LMB kind of nasty due to the vegetation funk. Lake trout is about even with my favorite fresh water salmonoid meat, brook trout. I heard kokes are good too, but haven't yet eaten any (what does koke meat compare to?). Tiger muskie, pike, carp, suckers, LMB, SMB, drum and undersized gamefish (except for brookies) are off my list of food. However, I'll be glad to pick meat off a freshly fried plate of bluegills any day (great beer munchies). I've eaten grasscarp once way back in highschool and they're good too, but I doubt I'll ever fish for them. Canned tuna is also great. With that said, I'm guessing dolphins taste good too?   j/k...

1eyeReD

1 - 20 of 37 Posts