Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only run one finder on my boat HDS7 touch. Is it overkill to run my finder on its own battery or is it pretty standard?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
The reason I run a separate bat. is it eliminates any engine interference and provides a back-up should the main run low.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
i run a separate one I dont want the big screen to die...also I do a lot of bow/stern electric motor fishing on atown where the gas motor isnt ran and charged off the gas motor...

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
The reason I run a separate bat. is it eliminates any engine interference and provides a back-up should the main run low.
I was worried about this too wasnt sure if the newer motors and electronics eliminates this...

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I run a separate battery cause I have the extra room and it's nice to have a back up.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I run my three finders and the gas motors on one large battery which is brand new. Then I run my Electric on a bank charger and two batteries. I am thinking about upgrading to a 3 bank charger though? I use the electric so much I run it down to nothing every day.

Everyone once in a while I turn on the big motor for a minute just to make sure it is adequately charged. But since I upgraded the main battery I haven't had any problems. Before the upgrade I drained the main battery the second day of the Pueblo tournament:mad:

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I run my three finders and the gas motors on one large battery which is brand new. Then I run my Electric on a bank charger and two batteries. I am thinking about upgrading to a 3 bank charger though? I use the electric so much I run it down to nothing every day.

Everyone once in a while I turn on the big motor for a minute just to make sure it is adequately charged. But since I upgraded the main battery I haven't had any problems. Before the upgrade I drained the main battery the second day of the Pueblo tournament:mad:
I do the same as Neal and also have a 3 bank charger (1 battery for engine/finder(s) and 2 batteries for electric trolling motor). Never had a problem with interference running on the main battery and never ran out of juice.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Interesting stuff... good thread. I don't run an extra but may begin doing so. The points made here are valid.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

What type of big battery are you running 29 series, gel or regular?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
What type of big battery are you running 29 series, gel or regular?
Regular.

Like I said earlier my two batteries on the bank are strictly for the Terrova. But even trolling I use them all day. I get my kicker to the speed I need or want then I use my I-Pilot set at 5 as a rudder to turn. That way I can sit anywhere in the boat. Lund built it with three battery spots. But for some reason the previous owner settled for two and the two bank charger. The two original batteries are now three years old. This winter my new upgrade will be a 3-bank and good batteries!

·
Registered
16,630 Posts
My elite 7-chirp runs off the main engine battery. Have never had an issue in the 5 years I've owned it. Its a 5-year old regular lead/acid Interstate 29.

Ive got two batts for the Terrova, they are the regular lead/acid Interstate 29s. One is 5 years old and 1 is 3 years old.

I run a 3bank charger and use it EVERY time I get back from fishing.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I have minnkota chargers, I leave them plugged for days sometimes cause I forget to disconnect after they're juiced up but they can stay plugged in 24/7 if it's a good charger.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Do you leave your 3 bank plugged in all the time or unplug when charged?
I have been going about every third day and I just unplug mine as I get ready to pull out of the drive way. If I plug it in when I get back , it is always completely charged if I check the next morning.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I run one 31 series battery for my 3 finders, big/small motors, and 2 electric downriggers. It last plenty long.

If you're concerned about the run time just do the math. I measured my finders, Gen 2 HDS-5/7/7 & LSS2. Together they all pull 2.65A/hr. The 31 series bat has a reserve capacity of approximately 200. De-rate per manufactures specs and equate...

(200 x 0.6)/2.65A = 45Hrs of run time

I have run my setup for just about that time duration without charging and I have been fine. There's other factors but this is the general concept.

If you're looking to run just that one fish finder and motor you'll be plenty fine. Use your TM bats for backup if needed. Those bats you want separate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Had some cabelas agm batteries and I wasn't impressed. Went back to interstate lead acid and I haven't had any problems in 4 years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts