Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Magellion SPorTRaK pro that I love using for Geocaching and Fishing. I fish lots of different spot along the Arkansas and in certain lakes I'll find holes or sunken logs or if the water is down and I see some structure that I'd like to fish I mark it on the GPS.
I however dont like the TOPO software that you buy for it, do you guys use any GPS that has good software and is pretty accurate.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you're going to use a standalone GPS device, get a Garmin. They have something like a 70%+ market share on handheld devices, and for good reason.

I'm biased because my brother works for them and I get generous product discounts, but seriously, these products are so easy to use and the software is pretty decent as well. Garmin even makes an add-on fishing software package called "Fishing Hot Spots" that has detailed maps of many lakes throughout the US, complete with suggestions on where to fish (taken from local angler information). Cool stuff.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I think they are invaluable to mark spots and structure. I have had a Garmin GPS III plus for about 6 years. It has been great! I mark spots while fishing out of the boat in the summer and can go back to the exact spot ice fishing as well. Last summer we were catching 5 lb lakers on Lake Superior and we caught a 13 lber so I marked the spot. The next pass over the spot we got a 16 lber. We lost two more big fish then last fish of the day (and vacation) was 21 all from within 100 feet or so of each other.

My boat has its own GPS now but I still bring the hand held because it has all the old points and I don't have the software or cables to transfer the info to the new units.

Terre

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I don't go out on the water without my GPS. Takes me back to my waypoints, tells me how fast I am drifting or trolling. Helps me follow my track back when I am trolling. Extremely valuable.

Be sure to post any hot spots, great structure and boating hazards that you find.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Yes I do. Only while icefishing though. I know every major snag from 7 miles above glenwood to 24 miles below glenwood on the colorado river, so not needed there. The gunnison gorge is easy to find the best spots in. I also know the way to hike to my secret lakes on the grand mesa like the back of my hand. So, during openwater it is pretty much unneeded. But during icefishing, I catalogue quality pike, perch, and crappie spots at crawford, a quality big fish spot at vega, and several quality lake trout spots at various laker lakes. For me, icefishing is the time I use it the most.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Like T.F.B. I use my Garmin to navigate to backcountry lakes on the Grand Mesa and elsewhere. Sure beats the map and compass! :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
I use a garmin and you can buy software for specific areas (ie Front Range) that is very detailed. It is very usefull to mark all your spots. Especially as the years pass by. The other thing is we all know how fishing spots on streams change and can look sooo different from season to season and year to year. My garmin can get me with in 10-20 feet of an exact spot. Its sweet.

·
Banned
487 Posts
I always do when ice fishing or fishing on large lakes. I mark trails to hike in lakes and creek holes as well. My garmin etrex is only accurate to around 14 feet, but usually that's close enough.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
TAL0362 said:
Dan,

Do you know this spot? N39-32.823, W105-04.253. It is quite well known....

:) Your turn now.

Terre
Yes I do know that point, I have spent may hours first looking for it and then finally fishing over it! I need to get out there and use my underwater camera to get a view of it and see exactly what it looks like, maybe i'll see the anchor i left there last summer!

Dan

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do those cameras work good? I think it would have to be pretty clear water to be very good.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
ePiC said:
Do those cameras work good? I think it would have to be pretty clear water to be very good.
You need very clear water for them to work well. the pictures you see on tv and online are much better than what I get. If I can get my camcorder to work with it I will be happy to send you a pic of that troll if I see it. Maybe the more expensive models work better.

It was quite fun to use ice fishing this winter, seeing the fish come right up and hit my line..........

Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts