Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you use nets for landing fish?  I've been netless since I was 10........I've always bare handed my fish because I didn't like my hooks getting caught up in the net......plus it's more to pack and carry.  While wading in rushing trout streams I always held my trout on their back....it keeps them motionless.   I always lip my bass and grab my walleye around the gillplates.   Carp are easily held under the gill plate too.   I  C&R so it doesn't seem to matter if they get off during landing.....except monster fish, they break my heart on occasion.  Just curious on how many people use nets.

D

·
0 Posts
I do. The gunwales on my boat are too high above the water to do anything else. And bank fishing or wading, I just think it's less stress on the fish to get them as quickly as possible into a net where I can remove the hook. Otherwise they may thrash around on rocks, or spend a whole lot of extra energy in the middle of the stream until I can get them subdued. That's my take on it, for me at least.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I use a net for larger fish. I don't consider a fish "caught" until I net it or have touched it.

I also am like Don, its easier from the boat to get the fish out of the water.

Dan

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I always bring one a BIG ONE (my optimist net), I get so nervous when I hook into something big that I need any help I can to get him incase I break him off or what not. I have lost big fish with small trout nets so I usually take my big catfish net everywhere. People sometimes look at me funny or say thats a big net but I dont care... Usually the only time I use it is for when I take the kids fishing and its their first species or "This one's big, grab the net" It makes them feel good when you net their "big ones".

H

·
0 Posts
On my Larson, a net is handy, because of the gunwales.  However, fishing out of my one man pontoon, no net.  I've caught many walleye, bass, catfish and pike without a problem.  For Crappie, a net is nice.  Crappie just taste so good and fall off way to easy. :)  And as far as trout, once again, a net is nice.  They just won't stop flopping around.  Catfish, no net, once their head is up they'll glide right in.  

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
I pretty much always have a net, you never know when you'll have that trophy barely hooked by the skin of his lip. Plus, having that measuring net is really nice sometimes. I can't count the number of larger fish that have come unhooked just as I netted them. The only time I don't is those longer hikes and I try to get the fish out and back in of the water much faster then.

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
I hate it when my hooks get caught in the net.  I picked up one of those hookfree nets at the cabelas tent sale a few years back, telescoping handle and all.  I don't use it unless I have a big fish on that I can't land by hand.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I do. Unless its a small fish that I can just lift into the boat onto my lap. Or ill just unhook them boat side If I can and not even bring them in the boat

[me=Jay] [/me]

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
1moreFish said:
I have a big net, but my optimism as to catching big enough fish has been going down.  Maybe I need a better attitue & maybe I'll start landing 20+ inch trouts.
2 weeks ago in WY I caught my first trout that stuck out of the ends of my net.  I was stoked to say the least, after catching ones that filled up the net all day I finally caught one that stuck out of it.

Without a net, I don't know how I would have landed that fish on 6x line.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Not to often that I use a net. Most of the fish I catch don't fit in my net, I can't seem to find a big enough net.

A guy can dream right? ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
For the larger Pike I use a Rapala lip grabber, similar to the Boga. I have lost some large Pike by using a net, a miss swipe, the hooks catch the net, the fish thrash, your equipment breaks :(

H

·
0 Posts
Up until two years ago, we could fish a lake in Woodmoor, a suburb of Monument, that is just loaded with Pike.  We could catch 20 to 30 Pike, up to 40 inches, in two or three hours.  It's just loaded with them.  Large perch are their primary forage. From my one man Pontoon, I've found that if you just place your hand under a Pike's belly and support their weight, they'll let you handle them just fine without thrashing.

Sadly enough, the Woodmoor Homeowner's Association has since purchased the water rights and has closed the lake to all recreational use including fishing.  It's too bad, because I'm sure there is a state record Pike swimming in Woodmoor Lake.   

·
Registered
27 Posts
while hopping boulders on the south plate a month ago, my net got snagged on a boulder as I made a step. It pulled me back, my feet landed on air and I fell about 8 feet onto a boulder in the stream. It hurt quite a bit, bloody hands, bruised ribs with the abrasions to remember it by, and a broken 4th meta carpal. Glady I had already landed a trout. Everything is much better now, and seriously, the blood sacrifice to the South Platte seems to have worked.

I prefer C&R nets to land the trout, keep them in the water and I dont have to touch them. I release everything I catch. I modify my nets to be more like a scoop - I cinch the net as high as I can towards the rim, and either sew it up or use rubber bands to hold there - hooks dont get hung up in it that way.

last few weeks however, I have not been carrying a net.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts