Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I toss out the bait, I try to make it look as natural as possible. If I use a #10 hook a small crawler will probably cover my hook, I almost always use a slip sinker and sometimes if there is a lot of weeds, I will not pull up all the slack, trying to keep the bait out of the weeds. Sometimes a plain white marshmallow will help keep your bait where you want it, and trout love the marshmallows.
I have seen some very diiff. bait set ups. My kids use to like to tie a swivel, then they put a #4 hook , and attach it to the swivel. Then they put a small split shot about 1-1/2" above their stuff. They have caught a few fish, mostly when we fished newly stocked waters.
They do not fish like that now. They laugh at me when we go out, when their catching more fish.
Flies, lures, bait or what ever make your bait look real.

·
Registered
664 Posts
the reading I've done suggests that most fish don't really care if bait or lures look all that realistic. they are interested more in general size, shape and color/ shading relations. I know that largemouth bass are so nearsighted that at distances more than a few inches they can't see all the details on a lure anyway. Fish use a variety of senses to locate prey...sight, smell, lateral lline, and taste all come into play. For these reasons I've never really considered hook size or terminal tackle and still catch plenty of fish. I also fish artificial lures for agressive species like bass so I don't know what happens with others like walleye or trout which may be shy.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
#6 is the best all around hook for trout for hooking numbers and hooking them safely in the jaw if you ask me.
Trout don't care if something looks good to them or not. They are ridiculously easy to catch. I even almost caught a big brown at stagecoach on a buzzbait this year.
I also talked to a flyfisherman this year who I watched catch a 5 pound bow a few hundred yards below the grizzly creek confluence on the colorado on a stonefly nymph, during march when there are none in the water. He said that nymph and the adult work all year there for big fish, even if they aren't around or hatching.

·
Registered
943 Posts
ken i wonder what persons presentation you are talking about? ;D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts