Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard from many people that 11mile was stocked with 40,000 smallmouth bass in 2000 and another 40,000 in 2001. Is this true, and were are they?

E

·
0 Posts
There is another post on this forum where this subject was approached...

I took a 5-6" smallmouth out of a 38" Northern Pike's belly during Ice season '02.

Never seen a catchable one that survived, and never knew any one RELIABLE that caught one. If you pay close attention-most every story you will hear is somebody that's a friend of my brother...pr a guy I know who knows a guy...frankly I imagine it was an expensive experiment in PIKE feeding.

Niiiiice Pike down there, though!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Its a shame really, cause theres alot of craufish in there and I imagine those smallies would have done well if it weren't for those pesky pike. Must be a few in there, lower end down by the dam I would guess. I might call the DOW and ask-if they got any info I'll post it here. Ed

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
At the DOW meeting someone asked and they DOW officers said they have heard rummors that people still catch them but they have never seen any proof. No pictures or anyone stopping by the marina.

D

·
0 Posts
from: http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bi...ring=smallmouth 11 mile;guest=13679487#171595

...."They indicated that the shocking and netting surveys have found very few smallies since the initial stocking so they believe the smallies did not take hold and are declining. Another interesting note, they said for successful stocking, it takes repeated introductions of a species (over the course of years) to get an established population. So one stocking of smallies was not enough to do the trick. "....

Since the DOW only did once, they did not take and have become added protein for the pike.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I fish there alot and have never seen one? Maybe they hang out in the east end that is off limits like the lake trout?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the info. I think that if a guy a tossed a tube jig enough against the rocks by the marina he would catch one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts