1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
Mike, I've bought a couple of stripped lowers. The receiver is cheap but building them can be expensive. Barrels aren't cheap, rails aren't cheap, stocks aren't cheap, sites, aren't cheap, lower parts kits aren't cheap, etc.

One thing that a lot of people screw up is the pins on the trigger guard - they break off the little "ear" that the pin fits in. Just take your time with them.

If you're looking at that particular lower just for the Spikes logo, then go with it. If you just want a lower to play with, Green Mountain Guns stocks them behind the counter for the same price or less.

Every other place I know wants $30 - $35+ for the transfer.

They're fun to build but don't plan on building one for less than what you can buy one for. Trust me on this.

Here's two of the three I've built - the third is a .204 Ruger and is currently on consignment at Green Mountain guns. Neither one of these, with what you see on the table, were built for less than $1,500 and without running numbers, I know for a fact the green one went over $2,000 (including the Comp M4) when it was all said and done.

·
Registered
844 Posts
If you plan to build figure at least $100 in quality tools.
I would recommend a good multi tool for stocks, barrel nuts
Bench vise fixtures to hold the upper and lower actions securely so they aren't damaged.
Roll pin starters and punches as well as some spare roll pins.
Front site punch.
Building your own is satisfying and you can put the money where you want it but it is not cheap.
Don't skimp on the bolt and carrier.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
There was a guy on craigslist a while back advertising that he will do transactions for $15. He is in Broomfield. I don't know him, nor have I ever used him, but I got his contact info because I thought it was a good deal. If you are interested, send me a PM and I'll get you his name, email and phone.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nice builds That Guy!

I was going to pick up the same stripped lowers, they got great reviews, and build up a 6.8 SPC.

DevnerMike, I think they might be a little cheaper on Brownells.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Get em while their hot and maybe keep a couple extras in reserve if you can get em for around $100, probably won't get cheaper.
I see that Brownells has their 20&30 rd mags on sale for under 10 bucks, they have been flawless for me and that is a good price for reliable lifetime warranty.

·
Banned
2,918 Posts
Brownell's is expensive - my last resort.

Green Mountain has Colt 20 round magazines on sale (last time I was there) and they had some Tapco 30 round mags on sale.

If you want another local place, try Jensen's in loveland. They have all kinds of parts and they have some uppers, lowers, receivers.

There's another place across from the fly fishing store on Arapahoe and I-25 (Bower's Tactical I think) - nice guy but limited parts last time I was there.

If you buy online, I recommend Bravo Company for quality, customer service, and decent price.

For optics of any kind, SWFA.com is the way to go.

Stay away from gun show parts - lot's of junk at gun shows.

Keep in mind if you live in Denver and get caught, posessing one with a 30 round magazine is a felony. You aren't allowed to own a magazine that holds more than 20 rounds per the Denver assualt weapon ban.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts