Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for wire leader for some pike fishing and wouild like to know if there are leaders that are limp? Thanks

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Limp, no. But resistant to kinking, yes.

If wire is what you are committed to, then a leader of nickel-titanium wire is the best bet.

Many pike fishermen also do very well with a high tensile strength flourocarbon leader as well. They are de rigueur for the muskie community.

SS

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been fishing waters with both bass and pike. The pike will clip right through 20lb big game, sucks getting a bite and then no bait. A local gave me a few homemade leaders but very stiff. I will have to check it fluoro. I remmber years ago in Canada we were using a leader that was stranded wire and did not mess with the action of lures too much. Im OK if I screw up and kink it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Check out a product by Cortland called Toothy Critters... It's a coated, knottable steel leader and they make it in several different lb. test strengths. I've used it for fly fishing for pike and ski's. Alternately, I use Seaguar flouro leader material in 30 or 40 lb test... that's probably a little light, but I've gotten by on it so far.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Yeah, he is right. Toothy Critter and Tyger are OK in the light line areas, and you can "tie" them with a lighter. The nylon jacket on either one melts and re-fuses with a little fire. It is called a "twist weld" knot. I use it a bunch for light line saltwater (10lb. test and less)

Totally spaced this. ::)

SS

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Wire will stop many bite offs but it will also reduce overall bites in clear water. I run 50-80 pound fluoro, never wire. I choose to only chase pike and have not used wire for years.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I used to make custom leaders of light tackle fishing on 4lb test out of 6lb Tiger Wire, but pike and musky are not common enough to justify the expense so I just use 6" prefab leaders when pursuing toothy predators. Fluoro is far harder than mono, but far from immune to bite offs. I have never tried 60lb+ fluoro for leaders though.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I said wire because I,m an old guy and thats what comes to mind with leaders. lots of options to think about. Thanks people!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I went to fluoro a couple years ago and have been happy. I have toyed with the titanium leader thoughts though. I'd have to by a spool of wire, some crimps and a tool so the starting price starts to go up quick. This year I invested in a couple of Spro swimbaits and such, and while I never thought I would spend that much on a lure if I lose it I may break down and cry, or dive over and wrestle it back from the fish. I hope the mountain lakes open up soon, I WANT to break 40" this year so I can get a fake mount done.....

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have some expensive spro and custom painted cranks that I dont want to lose to totthy critters! I was looking at the flouro leaders and those look interesting.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
McFish-Go with some Trylene Big Game in 30 lb-I've never had any trouble with getting bitten off. Trouble with most wire leaders is they ruin the action of the bait.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts