Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I would like to catch CRAPPIES like these in Colorado.  Too bad they don't exist in Colorado.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
with queens going dry did see alot of dead ones that were about that big around but skinny oh and dead

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I lived in California, My uncle took me camping and fishing in Oregon. 12 hours of driving from Sacramento. He said there is no limit(size or bag limits) on crappie there. We were fishing on the dam. Every cast was a catch. I was tired of catching them. He said," Keep on fishing, I didn't drive 12 hours to take only one cooler of crappies home." We fished from 3pm til the sunset(caught one big cooler full with ice). Set-up camp and of course I pick a spot with a rock. Woke up around 7am and fished until noon. Caught another big cooler full. The crappies there were huged. There was more large crappies than small ones. I think the biggest one we caught was over 15". The fishing and boating pressure there was really low.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What lake in oregon im headed home in a week or two to go salmon fishing in the columbia if i have time i would like to check out some of those crappies Thanks james

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Burn-n-daylight said:
What lake in oregon im headed home in a week or two to go salmon fishing in the columbia if i have time i would like to check out some of those crappies Thanks james
I wish I remembered. I knew we had to stop in a little town Called Unity(don't quite remember) to grab some ice and fishing license. I know the lake was in the mountains.

·
Registered
472 Posts
There was an 18-inch crappie that was caught out of a private pond in Larimer County, May 2004. The owner makes anglers release all fish so its probably still swimming there today.

The catch was registered as an MA award and Ed Dentry did a write-up in his RMN column. An 18'er crappie would contend with those huge ol slabs in my opinion.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Webster lake use to have big 15" Crapi in it before they re did the place. I haven't fished it for proably 5 years or so.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bass4Life said:
Webster lake use to have big 15" Crapi in it before they re did the place. I haven't fished it for proably 5 years or so.
I think that's where the state record for Black Crappie came from.  I could be wrong.  Theres only stockers, bass and sunfish in there.  Great place for kids to fish.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't know about Colorado but my Uncle in Arkansas catches those daily. He also holds the personal record of the largest flat head in caught on a pole in Milwood Reservoir near Hope Arkansas. He was fishing with shad on the bottom and pulled up a 57 pounder.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
coonass1962 said:
I don't know about Colorado but my Uncle in Arkansas catches those daily. He also holds the personal record of the largest flat head in caught on a pole in Milwood Reservoir near Hope Arkansas. He was fishing with shad on the bottom and pulled up a 57 pounder.
I've heard there's good fishing out in the midwest(Nebraska, Kansas, Arkansas and Oklahoma).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are you talking about the fish or those fashion models holding them. Cause I've seem plenty of the models at Sportsman's Warehouse.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Highline Lake, Elkhead Reservoir, and Crawford Reservoir in Western Colorado produce a decent amount of 2 - 3 pound crappies though most are 1/2 a pound to a pound. Biggest crappies I have caught are out of highline and were just over three pounds. Now they were SLABS.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I've got crappies up to about 2 pounds (complete guess on the weight) over here. Longest was 14 3/4" if that helps on the weight. Those are dinks compared to kansas and other states though. I do know a place where I can get crappie that are consistently 12", the other class size is 8" in that lake with equal numbers of both caught and in the lake. Do those fish exist in colorado? Yeah. In high numbers or legitimat numbers? no.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
monkies_butt said:
YES TONY does do EXIST in colorado. But only a dream away. Maybe when everyones tired of eating them. Then They will grow.

steve
I know what you mean. Like I said I don't eat much fish. But the last time I caught crappie @ Harvey Gap. My mom cooked it while it was still fresh. It was [email protected] good! Crappie fishing is itchin' for me to drive out west to catch some. Maybe have a crayfish cookout. The crayfish from Harvey Gap is really really clean(at least the lake is) and it's unbelievable how much crayfish they have in there.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i think the state record is in that class so they must be around just not in big numbers i talked with a flyfisher at brush hollow that gets a couple 2#ers a year while fishing big bass flies down there, all i seem to get are the 7-8 inchers

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
North of Silt. Silt is west of Greenwood Springs on I-70.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts