Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Does this fish exist in Colorado?

3K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Zman 
#1 ·
Several years ago I stopped by the CDOW office here in Montrose. I saw a poster on the wall of Native and Nonnative fish so I thought it would be kind of neat to pick one up and post it on my "man cave wall". I have caught quite a few of the species shown on the poster, both by fly rod and spinning gear. However there is one fish I have never heard anyone here on the site, or elsewhere, post as having caught. It is a Freshwater Drum. It is listed on the poster as a non-native fish. I have looked through several references here on the site but I have no idea if these were ever stocked and where if they were. Anyone know?

#5 ·
Okay, so they really are found in some Colorado waters. Apparently all out east as I can find no references that they were placed in any of the waters west of the divide. Doubt if I make it out east any more as I am pretty well ensconced (big word for the day) here on the western slope. Lots of bodies of water to fish that I haven't hit yet so the eastern waters will be safe from my flyrod flailings.

#6 ·
I think I have the same poster still packed away somewhere, probably an old version of it from when I was a kid. I've caught most of the fish listed on it now, but one that eludes me is the native orange spotted sunfish. Don't hear much about them or if they are still around.
Haven't caught a drum yet either, haven't tried, but I know where to go for them

#14 ·
Well, I went to JMartin just last weekend with my friends. They baited the hook with the crawfish to target the drum specific. I hooked drum before downstream the Arkansas river (Oklahoma). My memory told me it is not a good fish for meal. But when we came back, my friend gave me one fish. I cooked it. It is so tender and tasty, like some salt water fish.

By the way, I was fishing crappie there. Sunday morning around 10AM, the crappie bits were none stop, although they are small size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.