Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a thread from last year that claimed Don Walker's state record lake trout (50 plus pounds caught in Blue Mesa reservoir in 2007) was displayed at "the Country Store" near "I-70 and Colorado." I've tried using Google Earth to find that location and nothing of the kind seems to show up at that rough location. Does anyone know where Walker's state record lake trout might be displayed? I've seen plenty of pictures of Mr. Walker holding the fish, and I've read the articles about when he caught it, etc. No one seems to have clear information on where the mount of the fish ended up. Any help locating it would be greatly appreciated, and I'm also beginning research on finding where the mount (if it was, in fact, mounted) of the Colorado State Kokanee is located as well. If you might know where the state kokanee mount might be, please let me know that as well. Thanks.

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
It is on display at the Country Store at the Eagle Claw Fishing Tackle plant at I-70 & Colo Blvd. Enter at the buildings east side!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I believe that is a replica , Bobby Bernhart made a mold of it and many other state records he mounted. I believe the actual fish reside with his wife. a few replicas of it out there, another in Gunnison that I know of. Donny was a great guy and friend, but just another dead fish, been allot of 50+ caught in Flaming Gorge past couple years....they are all still swimming. the state record snagging koke was supposedly caught in blue mesa by Lee Cox, that guy got caught in the end doing what he did, that state record and his record RBT are questionable at best IMHO

·
P I K E
10,117 Posts
From what I understand Don's wife wanted it out of the house after his passing so it is on loan for display at Eagle Claw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Bobco. Where is the replica in Gunnison? If you're referring to the two huge Mack's in Gene Taylor's, both of those fish are the two previous state records broken by Walker's fish, but not Walker's fish. They used to post on their trophy wall the story of how a 44 pounder was the record, then a 46 pounder beat that record, then Walker beat the 46 pound fish with the current state record. Apparently Walker was friends with the former state record holder. Walker's fish is not in Gene Taylors for sure, so where else in Gunnison might the replica be? It is strange how a species of fish like the Lake Trout can be so revered and sought after in one lake (Flaming Gorge/Twin Lakes) and so reviled in another (Blue Mesa). Same is true of Walleye in Cherry Creek Reservoir versus Lake Powell, Brook Trout on the East Coast versus Colorado rivers where they are considered an invasive species, etc. I know it has to do with the unique biology (and politics) of each distinctive region, but it shows how odd and strange humans are! Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Thanks, Bobco. Where is the replica in Gunnison? If you're referring to the two huge Mack's in Gene Taylor's, both of those fish are the two previous state records broken by Walker's fish, but not Walker's fish. They used to post on their trophy wall the story of how a 44 pounder was the record, then a 46 pounder beat that record, then Walker beat the 46 pound fish with the current state record. Apparently Walker was friends with the former state record holder. Walker's fish is not in Gene Taylors for sure, so where else in Gunnison might the replica be? It is strange how a species of fish like the Lake Trout can be so revered and sought after in one lake (Flaming Gorge/Twin Lakes) and so reviled in another (Blue Mesa). Same is true of Walleye in Cherry Creek Reservoir versus Lake Powell, Brook Trout on the East Coast versus Colorado rivers where they are considered an invasive species, etc. I know it has to do with the unique biology (and politics) of each distinctive region, but it shows how odd and strange humans are! Thanks for the insight.
my bad I thought one of those at Taylors was donnys replica, both of those are replicas not actual records fish. Yeah Donny broke his brother inlaws 46 lber record. yeah a frickin shame what the CPW has done at BM, state records were falling every other year until the death fleet launched on BM. cannot fix stupid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts