Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fishing one of my backyard public fishing spots when I saw this guy pull in, un-pack his gear w/family and friends in tow and hit the water.

I guess rules only apply to some of us. They were fishing West Lake (Prospect Park-Wheatridge) with bait (its artificial fly lure only, kept an undersized fish (13-inches when the limit is 15 and above) and parked as close as they could get to the water without running over stuff.

I asked 20 people to use their cell phone (I forget to pack this thing at the worst possible times it seems) to call Wheatridge Parks and Rec. but got no help. Because I did not report this entire fiasco, I feel nearly as much to blame. I weighed my options in regards to "discussing" the issue but after some of the other near scuffles out at Ward Pond...I moved on to other water.

Please, folks...take a second to know and obey the rules. They are there for all of us. Some may think I am being a jerk for posting this thread...but wow...all they needed was an unleashed dog and they would have had all the violations pretty much covered.

·
Registered
664 Posts
WORD!!

You go Matt! I understand you not wanting to get in a scuffle but yeah, something's got to be done about morons like this. I don't have the answers but it really makes steam come out of my ears when stuff like that happens.

I think that for the most part, the audience you need to reach isn't on this site but on the "Colorado yahoos-r-us" Forum.

One thing I would like to see are BIG signs that state rules and size limits in several languages on each entrance to public areas. Some of the signage I have seen up here in Fort Collins is pretty subtle (or missing) and you can miss it if you don't look carefully or haven't read up on the rules beforehand.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I called the police on a guy at lair o bear for keeping 2x his limit,and they came and ticketed the guy and took away his fish. This is after I told him that he had to many and he told me that no one keeps fish out of there so why does it matter. I stood there with a smile on his face while he got his ticket. I dont know how much it was, but i bet he wont go there any more. I was amazed that the regular police could give him a ticket for having more than his limit, but they did.

·
OG LOKE
18,957 Posts
C-Bass said:
I can see it now must have looked like the Griswalds vacation when they all came out of the family truckster..  :D

"Oh Clark Behave!" hahaha Werd Matt...too bad you didn't have your cell on you...man i would have blown a gasket if i saw that... :-X :-X :-X

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
or at least gone up to them, borrowed THIER cellphone and called the police right in front of them. That would have been a nice twist.

Personally I don't care about the scuffle at all. I would actually look forward to it to be honest. One idiot gets the beating of a thousand idiots, its an age old unspoken rule. Theres a good chance they might apologize and either move on or obey the rules because someone is watching. People like this ALWAYS should be approached and reminded of the rules. If they jump all bad ass on you, then call the police, and now you have fishing regs being broken and harrassment. Lets see how often they play that game again.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
no no no ... just slash the tires. :p

·
Registered
414 Posts
Matt................... you left out one key part of the evidence.......one which I would have personally magnified............. his liscense plate number.

Thanks for caring enough about our resources to do something about it.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Matt, as often as you fish, you have to see stuff like that all the time. I've seen quite a bit of it latley. It's a shame. I'm feeling guilty about even thinking of throwing on a Chompers tube or a Tiki stick (in flo waters), and then see people hooking up minnows!  :mad:

I fish by myself alot or w/ my wife and daughter, so haven't had but one chance to say anything. That was at Pella. I guy and his two kids were using worms. All I said was "you know this is fly and lure only water?" He said just the kids were using em, but had a rod w/ a baseball sized bobber in the water w/ no action. Oh well...

Anyway, thought I should add this in this thread...
The CO DOW has a toll free # to call when you see this happening. It's 1-800-332-4155. It's operation game theif. Just provide them w/ as many details as possable. You can e-mail them at [email protected].

Matt, I know you threw something in that open sunroof!  ;)     

·
Registered
664 Posts
james said:
Anyway, thought I should add this in this thread...
The CO DOW has a toll free # to call when you see this happening. It's 1-800-332-4155. It's operation game theif. Just provide them w/ as many details as possable. You can e-mail them at [email protected].    
Thanks james, That number is now in my cell phone. I cant wait to clean up this one-horse town!!! 8)

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
While im no rat I do think you should protect what you love. I used to fish the Q all the time before it was taken over by the trout lovers of america and had the rangers office phone number on my cell. Id call if I saw anything id though was hurting the park or the fishery. Once called on some a-hole who was having his dog chace the geese. Really pissed me off. So i called the rangers office and told them. Not sure what happened but it made me feel better knowing I atlease turned it over to who had the power to do something about it.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
farmer ted said:
One thing I would like to see are BIG signs that state rules and size limits in several languages on each entrance to public areas.

Hope no one take this the wrong way but if you can’t read/speak English than you shouldn’t be here. There are 1000's of people who have been in this country far to long not to speak English. Go to Canada and break a law in regards to fishing and see what happens. They'll take all your gear and fine the hell out of you. Bet you learn the rules after that!!!!

And no I’m not one of these people who think everyone should go back to where they came from. I just think one of the major problems in the US is we will let anyone in and than make a sign in their native language so they don’t have to learn our language. We let anyone in than don’t force them to change to our ways instead we just change to suit them. It’s BS!! Id be dammed to go to say China and without knowing the rules just go drop a line.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I am a colorado native, and it pisses me off that people break the rules. I think the regulations are too lenient as is. I am also an attorney, so if you get charged with assault for jacking up a violator, gimme a yell. The attitude that people can just rape the land without regard to consequences is antithetical to the ethic that founded this state and what really makes it a great place to live.

j

·
Registered
514 Posts
two words

FLARE GUN

works wonders on waterskiiers, jet skiis, sailboats that cut your trolling lines (think flaming sails), and jerkoffs that ruin fishing for everyone. as much as i would really love to it is easier to pass off a mis-casted crankbait. just dont use one of your good ones and make sure the hooks are sharp. if your within casting range you are too close and you better be very polite.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks folks. I really was hesitant on posting this thread. It was just so obvious that this person did not care about any established rules. My intent is to generate more awareness and help turn the tide against the few folks who try and ruin it for everyone else.

and I truly believe that is the case. So many of us are following the rules whether we agree with them or not. The one or two folks who disregard or feel they are above the rules take a serious chunk out of the "quality" of our public waters.

Thanks again for putting up with this rant and now let's go fish!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
jclay0429 said:
I am a colorado native, and it pisses me off that people break the rules. I think the regulations are too lenient as is. I am also an attorney, so if you get charged with assault for jacking up a violator, gimme a yell. The attitude that people can just rape the land without regard to consequences is antithetical to the ethic that founded this state and what really makes it a great place to live.

j
so does this mean we have a "cff pro-bono attorney"

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Fishing_Fiend said:
or at least gone up to them, borrowed THIER cellphone and called the police right in front of them. That would have been a nice twist.
this one gets my vote for the best solution to not having your cell phone

just make sure you have your buddy video everything so we can all enjoy it! 8)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts