Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this on CNN.com. It's just wrong. I'm glad I didn't go to college in Texas.

Texas busting drunks ... in bars

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Reuters) -- Texas has begun sending undercover agents into bars to arrest drinkers for being drunk, a spokeswoman for the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission said Wednesday.

The first sting operation was conducted recently in a Dallas suburb where agents infiltrated 36 bars and arrested 30 people for public intoxication, said the commission's Carolyn Beck.

Being in a bar does not exempt one from the state laws against public drunkenness, Beck said.

The goal, she said, was to detain drunks before they leave a bar and go do something dangerous like drive a car.

"We feel that the only way we're going to get at the drunk driving problem and the problem of people hurting each other while drunk is by crackdowns like this," she said.

"There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they're intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car," Beck said. "People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss."

She said the sting operations would continue throughout the state.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Getting cited for public drunkeness is WAY better than a DUI. I'm thinking its not an all bad idea.

"Life is tough, its even tougher if you're stupid"....John Wayne.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought it was pretty funny - being a responsible adult, having a designated sober driver, and still getting cited.

Bachelor parties will never be the same in Texas.

"Barbara and Jenna Bush celebrated their 21st birthday last week with a party at the Cheers Shot bar in Austin. Following Bush tradition, the drinking started at 5 p.m. and will end in 19 years." —Jimmy Fallon

·
Registered
157 Posts
Last I knew, even business were considered private property in the real world.

Seems rediculous.  Yeah, people are drinking and may be drunk.  That doesn't mean they wouldn't call a cab to get home.  More protecting people from themselves, feel-good garbage.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only in America and Red China. Personal freedom, yeah right. Don't get me wrong, drinking and driving is a blight on our society but just because you drink doesn't guarantee your going to drink and drive. I seem to vaugely remember this "innocent until PROVEN guilty" thing in this country,,,,, maybe that was a past life,,
nevermind.

This isn't about drinking at all. Perhaps if you own a gun, you should be arrested because you now have the capability of shooting someone,,, like your hunting partner, while quail hunting, without a proper licsence, after you've been drinking!!!

Hmmm,,, >:D 

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thats just wrong. A little too much government these days. BUT...the public seems to demand it. Be careful what you ask for.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Boy that kinda of takes the fun out of going to the bar. Wouldn't it make more sense to just wait outside the bar and have a roaside for the drunk drivers instead of assuming everyone drunk in the bar might drink and drive.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The cops could check the bar for drunks, interview them in the back room w/one bright light over the table. If the drunks deny that they intend to drive when they leave the bar, the cops should be able to administer a lie detector test or just use the old water torture technique to get at the truth. Or, just make alcohol illegal, that would be sure to work! O0

·
Registered
431 Posts
ON the money side side of it they are pretty stupid for bustung these people in the bar when they could have uniformed cops outside waiting for that drunk to leave and pop him the secound he leaves the parking lot......hmmmmm but then again why do that when they can raise taxes and all of the honest hard working people can foot the bill for the drunken morons....Better yet is there not enough crime there that they can afford to pay a few offices OT to drink? heres a thought Average D.U.I in Colorado costs $10,000.00 and alot of headache so drink away >:D

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
This sounds like it doesnt have a chance to hold up in court, especially in Texas. If it does then all the bars are going to do is become private, like the ones in North Carolina. If its a private members only bar, then its not considered a public venue, and they couldnt do this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts