Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No long story without results today. Spent a good portion of the afternoon/early evening in P-Lo yesterday. Overcast conditions were perfect for a banner 5 species day and dinner for the week. Fished mostly wind blow shorelines and bays. No need for a boat for this type of fishing as all fish are well within casting distance from the shore with the right gear.

No pics due to forgetting the camera in the Jeep and being too busy catching fish to walk back and get it. :biggrin1:

Total for the day/early evening. 20+ Bass (3 over 18"). 15 Black Crappie (Biggest was 14") 2 keeper Eyes (biggest was 21") and a few close to keepers and one fat bellied Perch.

All fish were caught on either a Zman chatterbait with Keitech Swimbait trailers or Keitech Swimbaits on a jig head being slooooooooowwwww rolled. Color of choice yesterday was either white or sexy shad.

While I don't like the fact the Keitech's are super soft and tear after a few fish; the other like brands I have do not have the same rolling action. Yesterday was one of those days the fish preferred that action. So, I didn't mind going through a pack of Keitech's. I also started carrying Mend-It to repair small tears and extend the lure's life (which lessons the cost per lure a little).

I will add some info about my new tackle of choice that made the fishing all the more fun and easier. I recently (last three fishing outings) started using Daiwa Tournament 8 Braid Evo on my shallow spool Shimano Ci4 spinning reels and have gone to mostly light to medium action higher end rods for this type of fishing. I have been trying out the 8-22lb diameters so far and intend on trying some on my medium heavy to heavy rods as well.

WOOOOOWWWWWW!!!! Casting distance is outta this world and line sensitivity is super. Line diameters are almost like hair (had to use the reading glasses to tie up). No need for flouro leaders for sure as the fish can't seem to see the line at all (hell even with polarized lenses I could barely see the line on the water). Not sure who does the diameter calculations; but when put side by side with what is available in the U.S. market the Daiwa is even thinner than that of its competitors. Drawback is it is very hard to find and somewhat pricier than most. The breaking strength is very accurate with the right type of knot and I haven't had any wind knots or line twisting issues with this or other types of presentations so far.

I know everyone has their own preferences of lines, reels and rods. But, for those of you looking to up your casting distance and not lose strength or even want to try something new. Do a little internet research and purchase some. You won't regret it and it might even help you reach those places from shore you wish you could.....

Sorry, no GPS coordinates or super tips like Hobie passed out about the Kitties. But, enough info here to give some what they are looking for.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Great report. I've been debating a first ever outing to plo since I'm a land lubber. This is good motivation. I'd love to get into some crappie.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Ninja- Daiwa markets a Japanese braid that they call J Braid X8-I strongly suspect this is the same line you were using-only with the Japanese name. The 15 lb braid is .007 diameter and is the thinnest smoothest line I know of. Better yet is only costs $15 for 165 yds. You can get it in the dark green.

You can get it at Tackle Warehouse. I bought some when I was in TX-Academy Sports also has it. Might save you some money.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not the same stuff Kirby. If you go to Daiwa's overseas websites you can see the specs (you may have to translate the pages-LOL). This is a step above the J-Braid. Kinda like most lines-different grades of line. It comes in both dark green and hi vis-yellow. I looked into the J-Braid, but a friend in Australia who I buy my hard to find higher end Shimano Ci4 Reels through uses nothing but Diawa and recommend it for the shallow spool reels. He sent me a link to buy some at 1/2 price. I bought two sizes initially and then after using it and casting QUITE a bit farther than with Nano (which I love by the way); I bought what they had left on sale. As much as I hate to say it- it has me thinking about even selling my yak because of the significant distances I can now reach. But again, it is not all in the line. I have changed reel types and rod types to further enhance the casting distance.

I have found a few other places to get it and while the shipping time is not as fast as Tackle Warehouse; the costs are comparable. Eventually, I am sure Tackle Warehouse will stock it. They seem to keep up with the Japanese market better than most American tackle companies. Good thing I have friends in other countries that keep me abreast of the latest technology. Gives me some great advantages at times....:thumb:

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Oh well, I'll be using the Japanese brand that I bought and I still have lots of Suffix 832 braid which has always given me good service.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Not a bad way to spend half a day. Good job. There's plenty of detail in your report..gives hope to the shore bound folks.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice Ninja.

Sounds like a great day of fishin!

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He said scum bud...you're fine!
I'm cool with being called whatever....It doesn't affect my paycheck or fishing abilities whatsoever. LMFAO-Besides Brewski is a fellow member of the "Old Geezers Posse" He doesn't remember half of what he says and the other half is just B.S. It's how we roll Tony.

·
P I K E
10,163 Posts
Oh Bro...:nono: LMAO! I moved your meme to the meme thread, good one though!

I'm cool with being called whatever....It doesn't affect my paycheck or fishing abilities whatsoever. LMFAO-Besides Brewski is a fellow member of the "Old Geezers Posse" He doesn't remember half of what he says and the other half is just B.S. It's how we roll Tony.
Oh I've fished with Brew a bunch, I know how it gets!!! LOL!!! We have a blast!
Funny you say that, a couple years ago I designed a hat and was going to get a bunch made up but it would have been to much of a hit in my wallet if they wouldn't sell. I would have needed about $25.00-$30.00 a piece to be worth it...

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Well done, dude! Good info too. Keitech makes gooood chit!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Yep, us "Old Geezers" get it! We fish for fun so let's have some fun fishing!;D:thumb::biggrin1: That's how we roll!
Cool hat design Tony, sucks the cost is so high. I might have to do a little poking around to see if there's some cheaper options available now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts