Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
question for those of you that use his system. is there any way to rig it so that the line stays straight? when i set it up it puts a angle in the leader. maybe i am doing it wrong.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
i don't have that problem and i have rigged that setup since 2004. i have a skane of that tan yarn, 3 small bags of orthodonist rubber bands and a velco dowl rod to comb it out. same thing I'm thinking?

not sure what you'd be doing incorrectly? i use a simple loop, the twist the rubber band around 3-4 times, slip the yard through the loop, pull the rubber band taught and comb it out, then gink it and viola.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is what i end up with. i really don't like the bend in my line. anything that i can do to get rid of it? am i doing something wrong or is this just the way it is?

·
Registered
11,845 Posts
Hey man, I think you are cinching the line into the rubber band. The loop of yarn is supposed to stay below the plane of the line... Hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am on the same page as Armchair. I have used all of these indicators and have found none are better than this set up. It is super sensitive and you can size it how you like. I have fished with lots of folks that use thingamabobber or whatever the name. Most every one of them switches to the yarn, especially, on rivers. However, if you fish lakes I would use the thigamabobber. And, yes, you can sight fish with an indicator on as well ;).

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pimps are the way to go. by far the best indicator.

i really don't like thingamabbobers. sure they float good but they kink your leader.

i have the materials to make yarn indicators. and would use them more often if i could figure out how to make them so that the leader stays straight.

oyey, i'm not sure that i understand what you mean. i am following the directions when i make them. i put a loop in my leader. wrap the rubber band around the leader 3-4 times. then put the yarn through the loop and cinch the band up to the base of the yarn. i think that the cinching part is where i may be going wrong. are you saying that the bands should end up around the yarn instead of the leader?

·
Registered
11,845 Posts
lostlure said:
are you saying that the bands should end up around the yarn instead of the leader?
Yep... that is the way I understand it.

On another note, you can use those rubber stops and use a thinamabobber between two of em... then your leader will not kink... I hate kinky leaders.

Sometimes I don't use an indicator, but sometimes they are totally necessary.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I wonder if someone might video just how to rig this thing properly? I can't visualize just how to do it from the descriptions. Also, where do you find the ortho bands? Thnx

·
Registered
150 Posts
lostlure said:
this is what i end up with. i really don't like the bend in my line. anything that i can do to get rid of it? am i doing something wrong or is this just the way it is?
I've been using this setup for quite a while and that's just the way it is. Once one the water it'll be just fine.

Knute said:
I wonder if someone might video just how to rig this thing properly? I can't visualize just how to do it from the descriptions. Also, where do you find the ortho bands? Thnx
Best place I have found is Ebay. You can get a lifetime supply for cheap.

Tom : )

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've been using this setup for quite a while and that's just the way it is. Once one the water it'll be just fine.

Knute said:
Best place I have found is Ebay. You can get a lifetime supply for cheap.

Tom : )
[/quote]

Thanks. I had seen that video before but couldn't tell just how he was wrapping what into what, but now I get it. Also, I got to meet one of the co-owners of Blue Quill Angler today at a tying demo and he said this indicator doesn't kink your leader, so hopefully that's the case. Looks like the most easily adjustable rig going for yarn. And I'll have to check out Ebay - thanks for that tip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts