Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To anyone,how knows;what is the the differnce between a double ofset handle and the one handle the auger comes with,dose it make a big difference if you have one?? drilling holes as far,less stress ful?new augers don't come with an double ofset handle right.Goshdarnit,I still have to get my Licence and my secound rodstamp for this year.
Thank's,
G.R.

·
Registered
935 Posts
The velocity auger (by Nils Master) sold by cabelas, and at some other sites, comes with a double-offset handle. It's the only one I know of that does. I used the regular handle to drill holes when I first got my auger, and then got a tip from a guy in the upper midwest who uses a hand auger for ice thicker than most of the ice we see here in Colorado. He said the double-offset handle made drilling feel easier, because you use two hands to crank simultaneously, rather than holding with one and cranking with the other (and switching when you get tired). I got the double-offset handle early last season, and I was surprised at how much difference there was. You don't need a lot of downward force with sharp blades. When you are using both arms to crank, neither arms has to work as hard as one arm does with a regular handle, so you can crank a bit longer before you need rest. It's really the way to go, if you don't have any power auger options. You can get a double-offset handle from Strikemaster, by ordering directly from the their parts store (online). It's about $20+shipping, I think.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Thanks,

I just ordered one of the Nils Master Cabelas things - 6 inch. I also think the Finns probably know a thing or two about ice augers.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The double offset handle with the Cabelas Velocity auger (Nils Master) was a big hit with us last weekend. It seemed to make the job easier and quicker. John

·
Registered
935 Posts
It's especially helpful with an 8" auger. If you find an 8" hand auger a little tough to use, but aren't ready to pay for a power auger of any kind, you should give a double-offset handle a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts