Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fordo came out to ice fish and discuss the USC so we headed out on Granby plowing through deep snow and slush. I've been smoking lake trout for the past 4 days and they came out sooo good, my plan was to load up on more eaters. Fished Granby till noon or so and Fordo wouldn't shut up about Green Mtn. so we decided to head that way for the afternoon. Loaded up my rig on a trailer, pulled Fordo out of the ditch and headed to Green Mtn. Granby's lakers hang out on the bottom and all have Mysis shrimp in their stomachs while Greens lakers suspend over deeper water and feed on Plankton. Got to meet the Dow officers at GM and had a nice long talk with them about management and regs. The 8 fish limit there is fine for the small guys but the larger Macs at Green are very rare and should be treated as a completely different specie as far as regs go. Somehow this state has a misconception that without Kokanee you can't have Lake trout. The fact is there are many lake's without kokanee that the Lakers do just fine. Deep lake in white river forest held the state record for many years. Gill lice has decimated the Kokanee on Green and look at Twin Lakes and Turquoise. Jackson lake in Wyoming produced a state record without Kokanee. One problem is our managers take a very Abnormal lake like Blue mesa with the fastest growth rates for Lakers known anywhere and use that as a base for lake trout conditions. We pulled off the double play and it was a great day. Fordo is doing a great job trying to help manage GM and the few fish he catches over 18"s go backready for the Smoker, thanks to Granbys Mysis shrimp the smaller fish from Granby were in better condition but Greens Lakers were doing just fine with stomachs full of Plankton. Mysis Shrimp from Granby lakers in this Pic.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Good stuff, Captain! Keep fighting the good fight when the opportunities arise.

Sounds like a great day all around.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Man, great job. YOU GUYS SUCK!!!!!

;) Look forward to trying some of that famous smoked fish, Steve.
lol...why yes they do!...nice work!!!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
It was a good day hitting both lakes. Perhaps the funnest part was putting on the fishing display for the CPW officers and watching Stevo talk circles around the guy causing the officer to forget that steve had left his license in the truck. It was also pretty fun pulling Steve out of the ditch after he went into the ditch pulling me out of the ditch! Next year we will ad Willys to the route and do the first annual USC Lake Trout poker run.:rockon:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Nice job gentlemen.

You gonna be out on Saturday Randy?
We'll probably park at the round-a-bout again. That slush on Granby will keep us away for a couple weeks. Maybe :biggrin1:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nicely done Steve. I would love a good smoked fish recipe.
I can help you with that, I use a very simple recipe of 2 cups of brown sugar, 1 cup salt to a gallon of water. Brine for 12 hours, rinse and dry 12 hours then 3 hours or so of smoke (I like hickory) no heat followed by slowly bringing up the heat but not over 150- 160 until done. Time will depend in the size of pieces and oil content. I just did some Spanish Mackerel and stripers also comes out great. Lakers have more omega 3s than Salmon and are one of my favorites.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Nice! I gotta refill my supply of eatable size macs. Tight lines guys.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
I can help you with that, I use a very simple recipe of 2 cups of brown sugar, 1 cup salt to a gallon of water. Brine for 12 hours, rinse and dry 12 hours then 3 hours or so of smoke (I like hickory) no heat followed by slowly bringing up the heat but not over 150- 160 until done. Time will depend in the size of pieces and oil content. I just did some Spanish Mackerel and stripers also comes out great. Lakers have more omega 3s than Salmon and are one of my favorites.
Thank you sir. Now I need to get out and catch some so that I can put my BGE to use!

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Nice haul...

Although granby/Willys lakers are much better tasting than gm's, IMO.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Why is it the cpw thinks macs are dependent on kokes for forage ? Are kokes really down deep where the macs are most of the time? And if so it seems like kokes would eat mysis?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Why is it the cpw thinks macs are dependent on kokes for forage ? Are kokes really down deep where the macs are most of the time? And if so it seems like kokes would eat mysis?
bc they let boaters at blue mesa catch limits of kokes day after day, after day, filling up ice chests day after day after day and blame it on macks appetite. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts