Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
6,955 Posts
i recently went to Royal Gorge Anglers, a nice fly shop in Canon City to buy a fly line and played dumb, ok i wasnt playing. i had a 3 wt rod and needed a good line. i showed him my fly rod and he wipped it around a bit and looked at the model. he recomended that i put a 4 wt wt forward on it he sugested the 4 wt partly because the cheepest 3 wt he had was twice the price and i wasnt ready to spend $70+ he also said the 4 wt would load the rod better and be less of a strain on my arm (got a bum shoulder) although he admited most wouldnt be able to tell the diff from a 3 to a 4 wt on my rod a redington FSF IM6 or IM7 grafite

he sugested the wieght forard for better casting pushing bigger flys and dealing with wind better he said the doulble taper would realy come into play if i was fishing lots of small streams and such, and it would be easyer to handle in close quarters and trees and easy to mend stuff like that

i mostly fish small creeks (almost small enough to jump) which is what he was going to recomend the double taper but i mentioned i also float tube on small lakes and would like to fish in the weeds for the bluegill so he said step it up to the wt forward

long story short i picked up a 4 WT weight forward scientific anglers mastery seires hope to try it out this week

· Registered
6,955 Posts
what is the other end of a wt forward like to bad you cant have a wt forward and then turn it around for a lighter taper

· Registered
6,955 Posts
35 yards? man if i need more than 30ft the river is to big for me...lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.