Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally took up my boss's offer to use his boat and headed out to Douglas this afternoon.
The weather was awesome, warm and no wind. My wife and I were targeting wipers by slowly drifting large, freelined shiners. We ended up getting a nice trout (15"), and one small (~13") wiper, and two other very "wipery" bites. I missed one major bite while trying to row, enjoy a frosty beverage, and hold my rod under my seat. The fish ripped it out and the real lodged on the oar-lock - that saved my pole, but somehow I missed the fish.

Something was going on that I've never seen at Douglas..the seagulls were going berzerk on massive schools of shad. There were schools of them swimming all around our boat - but nothing was busting them from below!? We did see a couple of wiper boils (maybe 4 in 4 hrs), but nothing to get excited about.

The wiper we caught (and kept) was the first wiper I've ever caught in Douglas that had something in his stomach - he was full of shad.

As for my experience this year out there, there are definately far fewer wipers (I think the DOW restricted stocking when the lake has almost been dry the last 2 years), but the ones in there are fat and healthy.....a sign of good things to come (if they keep water in there)

Douglas Reservoir

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I threw my shiners right into the middle of several shad schools, but no takes.......Judging by how full that little one was, I think there is just too much food in there. But hey, I'll take a full lake and too much food for the wipers anyday. I'm sure they'll take full advantage of the situation :)

·
Registered
24,634 Posts
Basshunter...thanks for the report..how was the boat ramp?

·
Registered
935 Posts
basshunter said:
Well, I finally took up my boss's offer to use his boat and headed out to Douglas this afternoon.
The weather was awesome, warm and no wind.  My wife and I were targeting wipers by slowly drifting large, freelined shiners.  We ended up getting a nice trout (15"), and one small (~13") wiper, and two other very "wipery" bites.  I missed one major bite while trying to row, enjoy a frosty beverage, and hold my rod under my seat.  The fish ripped it
Had a similar experience earlier this year at Douglas, trolling Rat'l traps. My rod was pulled out from under my seat, and stayed on board only because the real caught stern. It was a 4 lb. wiper, so I trolled back over the spot and caught is brother. Both had empty stomachs. Nice to see a fat one with full stomach. Douglas can produce some huge wipers, when there's food.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts