Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to Douglas yesterday and got really excited. Water level is up. Alot of improvments from the las time I was there. I think I only night fished it last year so I might have missed it. Additions to boat ramp and a trail being built. But the best thing was this.

I'll be out there in the boat as soon as I can.

I've never fished with minnows for trout before but I have read some reports so I figured why not. It actually worked. They were aggressive on the minnows and totally ignored lures, flies, and other bait. I have been working on  "setting the hook" with the circle hooks and I think I'm getting it.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
NIce looking fish bro. Where is douglas? I think I saw a post last year of some big Wipers coming out of there. Where is it and what are the regs on boats?

Thanks again for the report

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Douglas Resevior is north of Fort Collins. Off highway one. I don't know the exact street.

I have heard the same about the wipers and I am excited to chase after them this year.

As far as boats go I don't think there are restrictions. In years past the water has been so low that launching from the ramp was impossible and the lake was so low that it was trolling motor only otherwise you would get caught up.

·
0 Posts
This is an irrigation reservior so it gets drained down in the summer. Glad to hear there is water in it already. I fished there quite a bit last year, but never really caught anything worth bragging about. Lots of trout (ho hum), some wiper and a few walleye. If it will warm up a tad I'm heading that way. I really don't care to fish when it's cold.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Douglas is a wakeless lake and I have seen them enforce it.

Looked like some morons rented a party boat last year and were hauling butt around the place. I guess someone called em in.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm suprised that they enforced a wake violation on the lake, but never did anything when some dudes were shooting shotguns at the lake last year.

I was fishing there with my wife (on the dam) and I started hearing shooting. No big deal - until we heard pellets flying overhead and landing in the water around us. I went to the top of the dam, the guys (not kids) had drove their truck to within ~80 yards of the dam and were blasting every living creature that came within range (it was the people who live in that white house west of the dam). Flocks of blackbirds were flying around and they unloaded on them. They were shooting towards the dam, and the parking lot. I'm pretty sure that a couple of round paint chips in the side of my truck are from that incident. I called the sheriffs office (from the lake) and got the ho-hum. They never even showed up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Basshunter, that's crazy! Glad I wasn't there to return fire! If I was with my son and was getting hit with pellts, it would not have gone well.

Program in DOWs # on the cell phone if you have one. It is amazing what happens when they hear people are shooting everything that moves.

Seriously, the sheriff never showed up? That's just crazy. Did you let them know you were being hit by pellets? I am amazed to say the least!

We have seen some sketchy stuff at Douglas. Be careful out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts