Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trolled crankbaits in the morning. Caught a walleye (16") and a limit of trout pretty quickly, as usual.

Also went back to try bottom fishing for wipers from the dam. Wind was moderate, but nobody had any action along the dam before I left at 7:30.

The wipers seem to have been put down by the chilly weather. Water temps were warmer this time last year, and the wipers were on fire at Douglas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cutt,

Sounds like you have been there a few times. I've never been there. Would you say that it would be worth trying in a week or so for Wiper? Is there a fee and or camping? Besides Trout and Wiper, what other species are in the lake? What are the boat ramps like? See, I',m full of questions. The nice part about this site is that most everybody is willing to answer them.

T-Fin

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
T-Fin said:
Cutt,

Sounds like you have been there a few times. I've never been there. Would you say that it would be worth trying in a week or so for Wiper? Is there a fee and or camping? Besides Trout and Wiper, what other species are in the lake? What are the boat ramps like? See, I',m full of questions. The nice part about this site is that most everybody is willing to answer them.

T-Fin
A week or so would probably be just about right for wiper there. They were slow during the last cold snap, but the walleyes were starting to hit a little more regularly. There are not a lot of walleye in Douglas, however, and few are keepers. In addition to trout, wipers, and walleye, there are also largemouth and smallmouth bass, bluegill, green sunfish, and carp. Formerly, there were catfish, but they seem to have suffered a large die off a few years ago and no one I have talked to has caught one since.

Depending on how far you are travelling to get there, Douglas may be worth it, to you. There is a potential for catching some big wipers there (check the Colorado Master Angler awards from last year - several wipers 29-30" caught there). I do fish there a lot, and I am skunked probably a third of the time, and most of the rest of the time I catch trout instead of the walleye or wipers I am targetting. That being said, live shiners along the damn, as well as crawlers seem to catch mostly wipers - when they're on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts