Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok it hasnt been my week...my internet has been spotty...my DSL stands for doesnt stay long!...now I am 63 million posts behind!...well I went back to Douglas Sunday morning...it started auspiciously...set my alarm for 5:30 and managed to do it...the problem was that it was PM...I didnt get there until 8am...I got a dozen of big beautiful shiners at Bennetts in Loveland...had my leeches...had my plugs...my friend Dennis got there quite a bit earlier than I...well we tried 8 different spots in the span of 6 hours along the dam...nothing but Pepe Le Pew (the dreaded skunk)...many people came and went in the time we there...some of them clearly wiper fishing and nothing for them either...I watch intently with polarized glasses...not a cruising wiper, bass or trout...no shadows for 6 hours...the wind was blowing into the dam at about 5-10 mph...it was perfect for fish to stack on that shoreline...they still must of been feeling the effects of the cold front...I saw one gentleman catch a trout on the south side of the boat ramp...a couple boats had trout...I didnt try for them...it wipers or walleyes or nothing...on the way back we hit Watson Lake by Bellview...what a beautiful setting if you havent been there...it has been a decade since I was back there...the trees have grown up...what a fishing/picnic spot...it used to be just trout...now there are walleyes, perch, smallies, and channels...we didnt catch any...the smell of the black and white striped creature was with me Sunday...wish I had better news...

·
Registered
174 Posts
I hit Douglas on Monday night - got a big fat nothin. There were very few people fishing, and I didn't see a single fish caught. I talked to a few guys as they were taking their boats out, there were a total of 4 stocker trout caught between 3 boats (all were targeting wipers). There was no surface activity (wipers) either. I did really well last year at this time....
I think this is going to be a tough year at Douglas. The lake has been extremely low the last two years, and now it's full to the brim. A lot of vegitation (willows) grew up along the shore the last few years, makes fishing on the bottom really tough. The fish are out there somewhere, I'll post some more info when I get'em figured out.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I was going to go check out that lake yesterday, but didn't get the chance to. I stayed at Lonetree with my skunk. I got to see a 15 lb catfish though and that made my day. I'll post about that in a bit here.

·
Registered
214 Posts
my brother in law went last Saturday and got 3 off crayfish on the bottom....15, 18, and 21 inches....The fish were skinny as hell. I'm thinkin about goin tomorrow, hopefully get a big one!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I caught a bunch of trout at Douglas trolling various crankbaits, this morning. I have caught up to 30 in a day there, doing this, and the odd wiper or Walleye. I fished for wipers with live bait for awhile a couple of days ago from the dam with no success. Wind was blowing my lines back into the dam.

A couple of weeks ago, the wipers were consistent along the dam at dusk. Lately, it's been too windy, too rainy, or too dangerous (lightning) to get a lot of good fishing in from the dam or bank at Douglas.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
I needin to go there, but I'm still waiting for some improvements in our weather. It's just been weird lately. I don't mind the rains and all, but the air has been cooler than it should be for this time of year.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts