Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went there yesterday, fished from a boat. Not one bite. Lets just say the fishin' was good the catchin' was not good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey how do I get there from 1-25 never been there and cannot find the way there. I've been having luck with wiper so maybe I'm hoping I can get one I can put on my wall.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Me and a buddy were there boatfishing without a bite yesterday.  The day before, I caught some trout trolling crankbaits, and the day before that my limit of trout and a decent wiper fly fishing a clouser minnow.  Yesterday just wasn't one of those days.

From I-25, I would take the Wellington Exit, which puts you on highway 1. Go West on Highway one, and stay on it. It turns south for a couple of miles, then West for a few. Where it turns South again, there is a hairpin turn North onto 15 rd (or Terry Lake). about 1-2 miles up 15, you'll see the small brown signs pointing out the way to Douglas (Turn left on 60 Rd, then north on the road next to the small electrical substation). That will take you right into Douglas and by-pass all the lights & traffic through Fort Collins.

Douglas is more than 10 ft. higher than in the past few years, and the lake spread out so much as it filled that the volume is probably 4-5 times greater than last year.  Not having much real structure except the dam, the fish are probably spread out.  Some days I go there and nail the 20+ inch wipers, but mostly I get a lot of trout when wiper fishing there. 

Speaking of wipers, I saw that Whole foods is selling 12-14" wipers as "whole striped bass" and nice walleye fillets for 12.99 #.  The prices make it extry worthwhile to catch them myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey thanks cutthroat thanks for the info, i'll check it out i've been wanting to fish that lake for quit some times now but have no idea where it is. Will check it out and let you guys know how i do

·
Registered
988 Posts
If we could sell wipers for that much we would all be rich. Maybe have that ColoradoFisherman Res after all.

Just wondering if they sell crappie?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Don't you know that wholefoods is way overpriced? But it is sure lovely to walk by the seafood and meat section. Man do there have some yummy looking stuff.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Speaking of wipers, I saw that Whole foods is selling 12-14" wipers as "whole striped bass" and nice walleye fillets for 12.99 #. The prices make it extry worthwhile to catch them myself.
do you know if these are somehow farmraised or if they are wild caught where is the nearest commercial fishery for wiper and walleye?
is commercial fish for them allowed in CO? hope not

·
Registered
935 Posts
roadkill said:
Speaking of wipers, I saw that Whole foods is selling 12-14" wipers as "whole striped bass" and nice walleye fillets for 12.99 #.  The prices make it extry worthwhile to catch them myself.
do you know if these are somehow farmraised or if they are wild caught where is the nearest commercial fishery for wiper and walleye?
is commercial fish for them allowed in CO? hope not
Yes, they are farm-raised fish. There are a few circle-tank aquaculture operations that raise wipers for commercial sale as food. One CSU grad from a few years ago tried to get one going in a warehouse in Denver a few years ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts