Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently have read some messages questioning how many lake trout one can keep. It is clear on page 10 of the Fishing Regulations. At the bottom of the bag and possesion limit chart it states that "trout include rainbow, brown, brook, cutthrout, splake, goldan, and LAKE TROUT. Your mixed bag total allowed is 4. Please be carefull.

Lakers and Brookies are not actually "trout". They are a Char. However, yes they do count towards the bag limit of 4.

I was reserching the rules on jigging machines to see if they count as a rod even if there are no hooks. Does anyone know the awnser to this one.

D

·
0 Posts
COLORADOFISHNUT said:
I recently have read some messages questioning how many lake trout one can keep. It is clear on page 10 of the Fishing Regulations. At the bottom of the bag and possesion limit chart it states that "trout include rainbow, brown, brook, cutthrout, splake, goldan, and LAKE TROUT. Your mixed bag total allowed is 4. Please be carefull.

Lakers and Brookies are not actually "trout". They are a Char. However, yes they do count towards the bag limit of 4.
At most Colorado lakes, you are correct, the bag and possession limits for trout include lake trout..

However, the thread you were reading was probably the one dealing with Granby. At Granby you can keep 4 trout (excluding lake trout) and 4 lake trout. See page 33 of the 2006 regulations.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
COLORADOFISHNUT said:

I was reserching the rules on jigging machines to see if they count as a rod even if there are no hooks. Does anyone know the awnser to this one.
Then explain this one to me... On page 10 it says:
BAG & POSSESSION LIMITS
TROUT, ARCTIC CHAR,
GRAYLING, SALMON (except kokanee)
In aggregate*.................................................Daily Bag: 4, Possession: 8
Daily Bag & Possession
BROOK TROUT, in addition to above
8 inches or less statewide ..................................................10
Does that mean you can have 14 trout if 10 of them are brookies?

Also if you are catching Lake trout almost every lake that has them is different example, we all know that you can keep 4 from Granby but... on Twin Lakes the Bag and Possesion limit is 1 and the slot is Lake trout 22-34 inches long must be returned to the water immediately.

SO I strongly urge you to check the lake regulations before heading to a lake to target Lake trout.

·
Registered
935 Posts
They do not count as a line, if they do not have a hook.  They be perfectly legal - for now.

Also, despite the general mixed bag limit for trout, many lakes have site-specific regulations that differ (some are more liberal, some more conservative).  

Here is an excerpt for Granby-specific regs.  They seem pretty clear to me:

"Granby Reservoir, including inlet streams - Grand County
a. Bag and possession limit for trout, except lake trout, and kokanee is 4, singly or in aggregate.
Sept. 1-Dec. 31, bag and possession limit for kokanee is 10
b. Bag and possession limit for lake trout is 4.
c. Ice fishing shelters must be portable.
d. Snagging kokanee permitted in Granby Res. only Sept. 1-Dec. 31 except Columbine Bay.
e. Fishing prohibited in Columbine Bay from inlet of Twin Ck upstream, Oct. 1-Dec. 31.
f. Gaffs, tail snares prohibited."

4 trout other than lake trout + 4 lake trout + 10 kokanee.  How is this not clear?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Cuttroat, I guess not all, are as smart as you. ;) However if you go to Granby anytime between Jan. 1- Aug. 31, you can only keep 4 trout + 4 lake trout + 4 Kokanee ;D.
Take Care

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
What every happened to blanket regulations!!!!! Man those are great.

<sarcasm>

D

·
0 Posts
born2fsh said:
Cuttroat, I guess not all, are as smart as you. ;) However if you go to Granby anytime between Jan. 1- Aug. 31, you can only keep 4 trout  + 4 lake trout + 4 Kokanee ;D.
Take Care
Actually, between Jan. 1 and Aug. 31 I think you are entitled to a bag limit of 4 trout (excluding lake trout) and kokaneee combined and another 4 lake trout.

The sentence "Bag and possession limit for trout, except lake trout, and kokanee is 4, singly or in aggregate" is not a model of clarity.

·
Registered
935 Posts
born2fsh said:
Cuttroat, I guess not all, are as smart as you. ;) However if you go to Granby anytime between Jan. 1- Aug. 31, you can only keep 4 trout  + 4 lake trout + 4 Kokanee ;D.
Take Care
Yeah, see.  I'm smart, but can I read?  :'(

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
born2fsh said:
Could be wrong again! Dang I hate when I'm wrong! I bet we can get "someone" to clear it up for us though! ;)
Take Care
I would ask a ranger up there, because I think I read it the same as you 4+4+4 from Jan 1 - Aug 31. But I can also see how Don reads it too now that he explains it. Its all about interpetation, and from the rangers I met up there this weekend they dont seem to be the sharpest tools in the shed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Golee Cutroat, u sur is smarrt, I bet u is the smarttes gi aroun her, u kin rite real gud to, u seam to no evrthing, evn ifin I dont hav no idear, u is mi Hero. Take Care

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I am not judging so don't take it that way, but an easy way to clear all this up is as follows:

CATCH AND RELEASE​

Thanks for your time! :)  :) O0

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Hatchmaster said:
I am not judging so don't take it that way, but an easy way to clear all this up is as follows:

CATCH AND RELEASE​

Thanks for your time!

Good call bro!!!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
935 Posts
born2fsh said:
Golee Cutroat, u sur is smarrt, I bet u is the smarttes gi aroun her, u kin rite real gud to, u seam to no evrthing, evn ifin I dont hav no idear, u is mi Hero. Take Care
Whoever this Golee Cutroat guy is, he must have done something really impressive to inspire such admiration!   ;D

I sure don't wanna be anyone's hero. :D There are lots of smart people here.

·
Registered
344 Posts
sea i new I was rit, u is the smarrtes gi I no, u reed mi ritin reel gud. mabe u dont want to b mi Hero, butt u is. i got yor pitur hangin in mi ofise, rite nex to Babe Winkleman, Al Linder, an Jimmy Houston, an Curt Gowdy an Albert Einstein. u is mi Hero.
mabe u can scool mi on fishin an reedin an ritin. frum now on u will b nown as MI HERO. Take Care ;D

·
Registered
935 Posts
Does anyone know if there has been any recent anti-stalker legislation I could take advantage of? ;D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts