Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a .PDF detailing the City of Longmont Master Plan. Page 17 shows the results of th DOW view on the lake... not very good. Shallow, and too many Carp. Don't let if deter you from fishing though, in the times I have been out there I did ok on S.M. nothing big but 10-12". BTW they forgot a comma between Sunfish and Walleye, leaving tired people like me wondering what in the world a Sunfish Walleye is.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
You forgot the link to the pdf?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I saw this a while back...and have noticed that recently some of the proposals are in effect. The path around the west end is open, and there is more shore access now than before...but i wonder though if a restocking has been done. I am thinking it has, at least with the catfish and smallmouth, as people seem to be catching more than in the past. (thats just a guess though). Ive heard of decent crappie coming out of this lake, but havnt personally seen any as of yet.

I wonder if any work has been done to deepen some of the area near the dike...that might help sustain a fish population in the winter and during times of low water...

Its not a bad lake...but i wish it was open at night. more and more of these "city" lakes are closed after dark...much to the dismay of catfisherman....

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couldn't agree more. Just like Boulder Res. now closes at 11p.m. as opposed to it being open all nght before to walk in access.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just read an article in the Rocky Mountain news that said it was one of the top places on the front range for catfish, guess everyone has their own idea :eek:

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rob said:
I just read an article in the Rocky Mountain news that said it was one of the top places on the front range for catfish, guess everyone has their own idea :eek:
Here's the link to that article if anyone is interested in it.
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/recreation_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_85_4639303,00.html
The Longmont plan states that after a dry winter lake depths were only 6 feet in areas, though Harry Crockett, DOW biologist for the northern area, says it is a good pick for catfish, as we have also seen from some members of the board. Personally, I like to fish it because it is close, and holds fish. I need to take the belly boat out there with the fish finder and see what sort of depths it holds with the decent water that is in it right now. There have been Walleye caught there, and to be honest I hear of more Walleye coming from MacIntosh than I do Union, which according to the artcile has a decent population.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Its hard to know to believe what you read about "hot spots"....so my advice is try to fish them yourself to determine if its any good or not. I would think that McIntosh would have potential to be a good catfish lake...it seems to have the right traits. Now that more areas are accessable from shore i might be more serious about determining if the "hot spot" article holds any truth.

As far as Union...i dont know. i havnt seen a whole lot of "20 inch wipers" come out of there yet, and have only seen a few walleye. the comment about the crappie population seems to be right on though...ive caught some nice ones out there, but not in any numbers. either way, im glad they put a size limit on them...maybe that will help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts