Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Code:
DOW ISSUES EMERGENCY SALVAGE NOTIFICATION FOR PURDY MESA RESERVOIR

Colorado Division of Wildlife (DOW) Northwest Regional Manager Ron Velarde has issued an emergency salvage order temporarily suspending some fishing regulations at Purdy Mesa Reservoir in western Colorado. Purdy Mesa Reservoir, formerly known as Hallenbeck Reservoir, is located off Lands End Road southeast of Grand Junction. 

Purdy Mesa Reservoir is owned by the City of Grand Junction and is being drained beginning this summer. Crews will be replacing the outlet piping from the reservoir. Because of the imminent danger of fish loss due to the draining of the reservoir for repair work, fishing restrictions are being eased to allow anglers to remove fish more easily. 

The emergency salvage order allows anglers with a valid Colorado fishing license to fish using any legal methods, including bait and snagging. The bag and possession limit for largemouth bass at Purdy Mesa Reservoir is also being temporarily raised to five fish. The bag and possession limits for all other species will remain in effect, with the exception of hybrid grass carp, which can be caught without limit. 

To prevent water contamination, no boats are allowed on the reservoir. The boat restriction prevents contamination from both engine fluids and aquatic hitchhikers (invasive species transported from other bodies of water). 

Once again, a valid fishing license is required and anglers are responsible for knowing the regulations. Signs will be posted near the Purdy Mesa Reservoir parking area to notify anglers about the salvage regulations. The temporary regulations take effect immediately and will remain in place through Sept. 30.

Please note that the temporary salvage order does NOT apply to neighboring Juniata Reservoir. All fishing restrictions, as explained in the 2005 Colorado Fishing Regulations brochure, remain in effect at Juniata Reservoir.

Purdy Mesa Reservoir was acquired by the City of Grand Junction in 1955. It covers 60 surface acres and is one of the reservoirs that provide a source of mountain water for city residents. 

The DOW considers Purdy Mesa to be an important fishery because it is one of the few western Colorado lakes approved for the stocking of non-native warm water fish. 

Anglers headed to Purdy Mesa Reservoir are asked to use designated parking areas and trails. Trash service is not provided at the reservoir, so visitors will need to pack out any trash.
 ###

For more information about Division of Wildlife go to: [url]http://wildlife.state.co.us[/url].
--Press release from the Colorado Department of Wildlife - http://wildlife.state.co.us

Infor

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I hate that. I really doubt they'll restock it with warmwater fish, regardless of what it says. Who knows though, hope they prove me wrong.
I really don't like that because with the new limit it was really coming on as a bass fishery the last year or so. Just started seeing several 4 lbers. coming out of there and now it is a waste. Too bad they couldn't carry the fish 100 yards up to juniata :p

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TFB, they probably will move the fish to juniata.... Even after the fish salvage they had here in the Springs on prospect lake, they still had to relocate a ton of fish to both quail lake and pikeview.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
ePiC said:
TFB, they probably will move the fish to juniata.... Even after the fish salvage they had here in the Springs on prospect lake, they still had to relocate a ton of fish to both quail lake and pikeview.
No, they won't move them to juniata because of frankland (sp). He would be worried about the fish introducing a foreign contaminate to juniata.

"To prevent water contamination, no boats are allowed on the reservoir. The boat restriction prevents contamination from both engine fluids and aquatic hitchhikers (invasive species transported from other bodies of water). "

That ridiculous statement is from him or one of the other water guys, I am 100% sure. (must've given it to DOW). The largemouth bass would be under aquatic hitchhikers. I always think statements like this from him are ludicrous because the basin they get it from is full of cows who obviously do their business in kannah creek and other inlets of this lake, also waterfowl like ducks visit this lake in great numbers during the fowl, and they sure aren't clean and they are from various places. Is juniata contaminated? Is purdy mesa contaminated? No. Because of who is in charge I would be surprised if they actually moved the fish to juniata

·
Banned
487 Posts
Terry Franklin may be the most ridiculous man in the state. He doesn't belong in government and he should be sent packing.
So called invasive species can be brought in by waterfowl, and 90% of the time waterfowl are what bring them in. And why don't other lakes that allow touching the water have this problem. Thing is basically all don't.
Even if these species arrived, nothing would impact water quality. In fact, zebra mussles actually improve water quality, though they may be a pain in the ass to clean from filtration devices.
Bottom line is these people do not want the people fishing their own lakes. They just know that they could be run out of town if they closed all lakes. They just don't want their employees to have the "responsiblity" to work a tad bit harder cause the people are fishing on their own lakes.
This is another ploy by the "city of grand junction" to ruin a fishery and create more employment so they can bring in more revenue.
It's seriously time to get these people out of office. Just because they are elected or appointed by elected officials doesn't give them license to go against the will of the public.
Almost all important officials in GJ are appointed and not elected, including the mayor and city manager. I think we need to amend the laws in this town and in most all others in the state. It is time to get up and do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts