Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Usually what all the people say at these meetings go in one ear and out the other of the CDOW people.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
But if you dont show up to say what you want so hit has the chance to enter that ear roll around and maybe stay before it heads out. You are just pissing into the wind.
Also alot of anglers go to these meetings and the more people you inform or suggest ideas to the more support your ideas have and they tell someone and so on.

D

·
0 Posts
IceInTheVeins said:
Usually what all the people say at these meetings go in one ear and out the other of the CDOW people.
I've been to many of these meetings and I have to say that IF a person or group goes into these meetings with facts, a level head and a documented issue/suggestion, they will listen. It is the loner in the back of the room who rants and raves that will go unheard.

A few more tips to get your voice/concern heard and addressed:
1. Prior to the meeting, introduce yourself to the DOW members.
2. Briefly explain your concern and that you'd like to discuss it when the time in the meeting is appropiate.
3. Have your issue/concern documented with as much supporting facts/data as possible. Your document should also contain a few resolutions or suggestions. Dont forget to put your name and contact information on the document as well. If there are others that agree with your opinion (including clubs/organizations) list them as well.
4. When the time is right, with no emotion, state your concern and hand your document to the DOW officers.
5. Lastly, ask if you can be involved in any future discussions/forums/studies/etc. relative to your issue.

Like I tell my kids, if you act like a 1st grader in front of someone you are trying to persuade, you will get 1st grade results. Act professional, stay calm, present your issue and they will listen.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well said, dkooser. A little tact can definitely go a long way.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Oh it does help to still go. Having a college background in fisheries, biology, politics, and law helps me have more clout to them. I always go and I never rant and I have plenty of facts to back up what I say.
Still the key is to actually get rid of those making the bad policies.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
There are many people that will be there that will be bashing them for poor laker size at blue mesa and taylor reservoir compared to years past. They will also be bashing the anti lake trout stuff. There has been many groups, and many people like this in the gunnison area roundtable discussions, especially in the past year or so. Has it helped? No. Heiben and Martinez both have their own agenda, and since the lakers aren't really part of it, that's going to be the way it is until these two, and others, are removed.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
TFB,

Remember the growth rate thing you were just talking about on the small laker thread.

Given slow growth rates, anything you do fishery wise (other than stocking large fish) is going to take years, maybe 10's of years to see the results of the changes that were made.

Except for draining the lake or harvesting the bulk of the fish, which in turn will take years or tens of years to reestablish.

I think the situation is more complicted than many of us would like to believe.

Terre

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Another point,

How did the 5 year drought effect things??? We all know many of the eastern plains reservoirs were decimated. Did a 90 to 100 drop in waterlevels at Granby, Williams Fork or Blue Mesa, impact the fishery??? I don't know, but my guess would be yes, there was an impact. I know fishing was pretty fast, for a while....

Terre

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
TAL0362 said:
Another point,

How did the 5 year drought effect things??? We all know many of the eastern plains reservoirs were decimated. Did a 90 to 100 drop in waterlevels at Granby, Williams Fork or Blue Mesa, impact the fishery??? I don't know, but my guess would be yes, there was an impact. I know fishing was pretty fast, for a while....

Terre
It affected it greatly. This is just speculation but it probably concentrated the larger fish thus making them easier to be found and therefore caught. Without being protected, this valuable resource was obviously wasted. The drought also stresses fish I am sure and probably makes spawns less effective. Who here is going to this round table?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
It affected it greatly. This is just speculation but it probably concentrated the larger fish thus making them easier to be found and therefore caught. Without being protected, this valuable resource was obviously wasted. The drought also stresses fish I am sure and probably makes spawns less effective. Who here is going to this round table?
TFB, I know when there was a drought in Nebraska, the larger fish were pushed out of the deep (where oxygen levels are the highest) to the surface. This made catching large cats easier then normal, sadly though as droughts get worse these large fish stop feeding and just suck the surface of water for oxygen.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I have talked to guys with the CDOW in the past and I got the distinct impression that they didn't really want to hear what I had to say.  Or, worse yet, I got the feeling they were patronizing me.  

Here is a point alot of people don't understand-just because they work for the DOW doesn't mean they are "outdoors" people.  I remember talking to a tackle shop owner here in CS a few years back-I was lamenting that a DOW guy I had talked to thought they were doing a good job managing our fisheries because the trout stocking truck was making the rounds.  He seemed not to care a wit about warmwater species.  The tackle shop owner, who knew the guy I was talking abouit, looked at me and said-"that guy doesn't hunt or fish or camp, its just a job to him.

Thats when it hit me, the guy worked for the DOW but he could just as easily been a highschool teacher, an insurance adjuster, a car saleman.  If you assume these people are as passionate about fishing as we are, in many cases you would be wrong.  Ed

L

·
0 Posts
as far as the growth rate of fish if you continue to have a two fish limit on lakes like grandby youll continue to have stunted fish. theres not enough food source in the lakes to sustaine the big populations.look at chatfield few walleyes grow to the 18inch limit. hell three years ago we were catching fish in the 16 to 17inch range now we still are. its not the lack of game fish its the lack of a consistent food source.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts