Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DOW TO HOST ANGLER ROUNDTABLE MEETING ON PROPOSED CHANGES TO FISHING REGULATIONS

The Colorado Division of Wildlife (DOW) will host an angler roundtable meeting on Aug. 31 at 6:30 p.m., at the Holiday Inn Denver Central, northwest of the I-25 and I-70 interchange. Discussions at the meeting will center around final DOW recommendations on fishing regulations for the next 5 years.

A proposed change to the walleye regulations statewide will be one of the changes discussed. This proposal lowers the daily bag and possession limit for walleye, saugeye and sauger to five fish in the aggregate, except in the Arkansas Drainage, where on waters without size restrictions, the bag and possession limits would remain 10. On all waters with size restrictions, only one fish greater than 21 inches in length may be kept per day.

The proposed walleye regulations continue the 18-inch minimum size on brood lakes (Chatfield Reservoir, Cherry Creek Reservoir, Horsetooth Reservoir, Pueblo Reservoir and Aurora Reservoir.)

The proposal also lengthens the size range (between 16 and 20 inches in length) for the one fish daily bag limit on Carter Reservoir, with a possession limit of two walleye.

Impoundments considered quality walleye waters (Adobe Creek Reservoir, Barr Lake, Bear Creek Reservoir, Bonney Reservoir, Boulder Reservoir, Boyd Lake, Jackson Reservoir, John Martin Reservoir, Jumbo Reservoir, Lake Arbor, Lonetree Reservoir, Nee Gronda Reservoir, Nee Noshe Reservoir, North Sterling Reservoir, Prewitt Reservoir, Standley Reservoir and Trinidad Reservoir) would have a 15-inch minimum size limit either added or continued.

Other key proposed changes to the regulations that will be discussed include:

New definition of artificial fly and lure

New definition of bait that includes scented manufactured plastic worms and grubs

Change in the regulation concerning the take of lake trout at Granby Reservoir

Changes in the statewide bag and possession limit table

Anglers are encouraged to attend and voice their opinion or learn more about the proposed changes.

The final regulations will be approved by the Colorado Wildlife Commission at their meeting in Lamar on Sept. 8.

###

For more information about Division of Wildlife go to: http://wildlife.state.co.us.
Press release for CDOW http://wildlife.state.co.us

F

·
0 Posts
I will be there and expect to see everyone who has talked about change in this forum there ......maybe we should all meet afterwards and have a beer or two

·
Banned
487 Posts
fishinguitars said:
I will be there and expect to see everyone who has talked about change in this forum there ......maybe we should all meet afterwards and have a beer or two
I wish I could be there. If the commission adopts regs against scented plastics or more restrictions against bait, I will raise hell and possibly sue them.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
on what basis will the law suit be?

·
Banned
487 Posts
Pretty much will be a losing cause lawsuit. Its mostly just for the principle of it. I would sue because if they adopt this rule it will be in stark contrast to public opinion and that they are violating our rights. There is no biological basis whatsoever to show that scented plastics harm fisheries. Its discrimination and I suspect TU has a big hand in it.

F

·
0 Posts
why cant you be there...you talk about something very strong and with many of the things you say i agree so why cant you come

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
if i remember corectly ice is over on the other side of the mountain

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
i couldnt make it to the picnic and that was for fun so i cant judge

·
Banned
487 Posts
roadkill said:
if i remember corectly ice is over on the other side of the mountain
Yes I live in Grand Junction. If I was in Denver you bet I would come. Being a college student with all the little money I have tied up in school, I can't afford to come over.

M

·
0 Posts
IceInTheVeins said:
Pretty much will be a losing cause lawsuit. Its mostly just for the principle of it. I would sue because if they adopt this rule it will be in stark contrast to public opinion and that they are violating our rights. There is no biological basis whatsoever to show that scented plastics harm fisheries. Its discrimination and I suspect TU has a big hand in it.
Man, I think you need to lay off the X-files re-runs. TU behind high gas prices too?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Re: DOW TO HOST ANGLER ROUNDTABLE MEETING ON PROPOSED CHANGES TO FISHING REGULAT

These DOW public meetings are pretty much of a joke. They want to give the appearance of accepting input from the public on different issues, but they have already decided what they are going to do, and once the legalities of holding a public hearing are satisfied, they will go right ahead and do it, and your input will go down the toilet.

The real way to influence the DOW is to get into their ear behind the scenes, a long time before they hold any public discussions about something -- because it's already frozen by then. It's entirely possible that Ice is right and that TU has been able to get their licks in, under the table. I don't know, I'm just saying it's possible. I don't know how to counteract their selfish agenda by doing the same. I hope somebody here might. I'm afraid I don't deal smoothly and constructively with governmental bodies, and that's what is needed here.

W. E.

P. S. Mauser: listen to TAL0362. Until you know what "Kala Vene" means, she is smarter than you are. :)

·
Banned
487 Posts
mauser said:
IceInTheVeins said:
Man, I think you need to lay off the X-files re-runs. TU behind high gas prices too?
That was a pretty silly thing to say. It's obvious to anyone who's been to a few TU meetings that they don't like people using things like soft plastics for trout. TU has worked with the CDOW to steadily gain control of our fisheries. If you cannot see this you are missing the boat.
I am quite abrasive when dealing with government agencies, yes. But I keep it a lot more professional when not among fellow anglers.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
knowing the def of some words does not indicate "smarts" but education

i can teach a rather dumb person some definition but the smartest one will not know them unless they have been exposed to them before

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm really going to make an effort to go this one. I agree that changing this plan now would be a lot like arm-wrestling a bull dozer. But facing these guys eye to eye may have more of an impact than all my e-mails, letters, rants and other attempts to understand what the DOW has planned for Colorado waters.

I'm not sure if I'll walk away feeling any better but I do have quite a few questions. Especially the warm water limit change. Still can't find an exact wording on this.

Kind of seems silly to lump all warm water species into a "one-size fits all" management plan. Is this just because people can't tell the difference between bass and crappie?

M

·
0 Posts
IceInTheVeins said:
mauser said:
IceInTheVeins said:
That was a pretty silly thing to say. It's obvious to anyone who's been to a few TU meetings that they don't like people using things like soft plastics for trout. TU has worked with the CDOW to steadily gain control of our fisheries. If you cannot see this you are missing the boat.
I am quite abrasive when dealing with government agencies, yes. But I keep it a lot more professional when not among fellow anglers.
This is a fishing board -- but has sounded like a group of anti government conspirators as of late. TU is not out to rule the world, or all of our fishing regulations. For TU to be behind evey decision the DOW makes then everyone in power would have to hold the belief that colorado should be a barbless, C&R, Fly fishing only state. I highly doubt that is the case.I understand that you are young and idealistic, which is a good thing. But,regardless of belief, the DOW is trying to do what is best for the state. In the process they may piss off a few people, but it takes time to balance the needs of the many with the wants of the few. Ragging on TU is just going anger the members on this board who are members of TU (there are more than a few), and what will that accomplish? I am a member of Izaak Walton, do I agree with a 100% of how they spend my membership dues?  No, but at least they are doing something, like TU, to stem urban growth and ensure that our children will have a place to hunt and fish for generations to come. Regulations can be changed, but land and access is a precious commodity. To mark TU as the evil empire is hardly fair, especially considering the good they have done.

Didn't mean to piss everyone off with the x-files comment --again sarcasm and humor are mis-translated in writing -- but I think things are a little to dramatic around here lately, must be the summer doldrums.

Peace,
Mauser  

M

·
0 Posts
Re: DOW TO HOST ANGLER ROUNDTABLE MEETING ON PROPOSED CHANGES TO FISHING REGULAT

Walking Eagle said:
P. S. Mauser: listen to TAL0362. Until you know what "Kala Vene" means, she is smarter than you are.   :)
Sorry, I left my latin to english dictionary in my other pants.
anything like "Sicvus Paccum Parabellum" or "carpe diem"?
I got a whole book of those kinda quotes too, let me know when I am close

Peace,
Mauser

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
not so sure the latin dict would help im thinking hindu and then german or italian?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts