7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/25298327/detail.html

nvasive Mussels Found On 8 Boats This Summer
Colo. Inspectors Checked 200,000 Boats
Deb Stanley, 7NEWS Producer

POSTED: 6:53 am MDT October 6, 2010
UPDATED: 7:24 am MDT October 6, 2010

PUEBLO, Colo. -- Inspectors looking for zebra and quagga mussels checked more than 200,000 boats in Colorado this year and found mussels on eight of them.

All eight boats found with mussels came from other states. No mussels were founds on Colorado boats, officials said.

Boats with standing water were decontaminated to ensure there were no mussels that could get into Colorado waters.

The mussels can clog water treatment plants and damage ecosystems. They're not native to this country and don't have natural enemies to keep them in check.

The mussels were first found in Colorado in 2007 in Lake Pueblo. Parks officials told The Pueblo Chieftain that more people are showing up at lakes with their boats cleaned, drained and dry.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Actually, that seems like a success...albeit, a small one. At least 8 contaminated boats didn't enter our waters...

I just wonder how many did though.... :p

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Actually, that seems like a success...albeit, a small one. At least 8 contaminated boats didn't enter our waters...

I just wonder how many did though.... :p
The contamination ratio is 25,000:1 When you consider that many in state boats launch upwards of 25 or 50 times, that makes the out of state amount a LOT higher then 25k:1.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
If the latest tests at Granby and Pueblo come up negative for mussels, it would suggest that inspections at the border for boats coming from out of state would be just as effective at preventing the spread of mussels, while eliminating all the hassles for in-state boaters.

It would have to be cheaper, too.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
If the latest tests at Granby and Pueblo come up negative for mussels, it would suggest that inspections at the border for boats coming from out of state would be just as effective at preventing the spread of mussels, while eliminating all the hassles for in-state boaters.

Maybe, but I doubt it... They'll find a way to make it expensive and poorly executed! LOL

Besides, think of all the boats that leave this state as well...

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Anybody who takes his boat of state gets inspected when coming back in. Simple. A lot simpler than what we have now.

·
Registered
16,527 Posts
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Anybody who takes his boat of state gets inspected when coming back in. Simple. A lot simpler than what we have now.
Theres a lot of roads coming into the state- Youd hafta man each checkpoint 24/7/365

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
SLAYERFISH said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
Theres a lot of roads coming into the state- Youd hafta man each checkpoint 24/7/365
No you wouldn't man every backroad, just the major highways, and 24/7 manning of checkpoints at those has to be cheaper than what is being done now.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SLAYERFISH said:
Mrwigglestheworm said:
No you wouldn't man every backroad, just the major highways, and 24/7 manning of checkpoints at those has to be cheaper than what is being done now.
What about those just passing thru? A lot of folks go from Eastern and midwestern states to Powell and Mead...

·
Registered
844 Posts
What was the cost to inspect all those boats? We are in the season of lakes being shut down to boats, Isn't there some way that a boat can be inspected at one of the many well appointed SP or DOW offices and then sealed. Big sign at the ramp and big fine if they don't have evidence of inspection.
Use the money saved from all the little Tuff Sheds and fines to combat the eventual infestation.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Slimer said:
What about those just passing thru? A lot of folks go from Eastern and midwestern states to Powell and Mead...
Who cares? If they're coming into Colorado, they get an inspection.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
good idea, but there are still reservoirs in the state that are contaminated and boats that frequent those bodies of water, whether they leave the state or not, should still be checked.

·
Registered
462 Posts
In-Fisherman reports that a study on Lake Champlain shows that zebra mussels are becoming a larger part of the diet of several species of fish that live there. Freshwater drum and pumpkinseed sunfish, include large numbers of snails in their normal diets. Perch and rock bass also ate them but not as much as the first two mentioned fish. In-Fisherman editors have also observed zebra mussels in the stomachs of blue and channel catfish and common carp. Maybe over time mother nature will take care of the zebra problem.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I know that the charters on lake Ontario, Erie and the SLSW say they are the reason for the clear water and the fishing after a few years is better or as good as ever.
They are just another reason to suck money from the taxpayer, the monster under the bed.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Zebra and Quagga mussels are certainley not something we would want in our lakes, but I am sympathetic to the view that it's just another boogeyman and taxpayer fleecing.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
The mussels can clog water treatment plants and damage ecosystems.

Clog water treatment pipies yes Damage Ecosystems? WRONG!!! If it wasnt for those water cleaning little mothers Erie would be dead!! Once they go in there and cleaned that nasty mother up the FISH WENT CRAZY!!!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
They certainley saved Erie, and turned it into the world's greatest walleye and smallie fishery. They wouldn't be that great for our mountain lakes though, but it's unlikely they would cause serious destruction.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Any news on the mussels testing from last year? Its my understanding they have never actually found any adult mussels in any lakes in Colorado. If they had shouldn't the lakes be overpopulated with them already?

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but its never even been established that zebra's can become established in CO waters due to our water chemistry not being condusive to their survival.

Maybe this is urban legend but I've heard it a number of times.

·
Registered
2 Posts
kirbydog said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but its never even been established that zebra's can become established in CO waters due to our water chemistry not being condusive to their survival.

Maybe this is urban legend but I've heard it a number of times.

I was wondering the same thing. I have been searching the internet for some sort of update on the testing but can't find anything.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts