Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two friends and I fished Dowdy this morning. We did pretty well (2+ limits of standard Dowdy fish [10 - 14"]), catching a mixed bag of rainbows and browns (2:1 ratio) in 15 - 18 FOW on waxworm-tipped ice jigs. Most of the fish were either suspended at about 12 ft or right on the bottom.

We had at least 10" of solid, clear ice, enough wind to blow the Spanish Armada back to France, and fairly chilly conditions. Still, it was the first ice fishing trip of the new year and now there are trout fillets in the fridge! Oh, and the AquaView Scout worked pretty well, but the camera kept spinning right when I'd located my lure. It did allow me to watch a big crawdad up close and personal for about 10 minutes, though. Makes one wonder what a crawdad tail on the bottom might call up!

·
Registered
246 Posts
yea it makes you wonder if there is bigger fish there and if in fact the loch ness resides there..those craws can get prettybig up there as well...kinda makes you want to boilem and make some gumbo

·
Registered
117 Posts
i caught tons of suckers there in the summer with salmon eggs and would always toss them back. Now that i think of it i shoulda kept some of them for the winter!

·
Registered
935 Posts
CO. FishingMan said:
i caught tons of suckers there in the summer with salmon eggs and would always toss them back. Now that i think of it i shoulda kept some of them for the winter!
Yup, it's probably one of the best free bait sources around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts