Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove up to red feather.  The top is on 100% at Parvin and West.  Dowdy is 85-90% topped, with open water near the islands off the boat ramp and off the eastern side of the dam.  Fished my favorite hole on the Northeastern corner and got a hit every time the line reached bottom.  Caught three browns (two at 9" one at 12" and skinny), and two rainbows (one 8" and one 11"), in about 35 minutes, and called it a day because the wind was murder and snow was moving in.  Used 1/16 oz. jig head with tiny (maybe 1") brown trout tubes.  Not a bad afternoon.  I'll put some pictures up later, if I can get them off my phone.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Dowdy 12/2 ice report

Must of posted that somewhere else. It was 3-4 inches, but hard to tell. I didn't drill my own holes, and the holes I used had eroded some fromt he bottom. Felt like 3-4, though - very solid for walking and standing where I was. If you stay left when you drive into the recreation area and go to the last parking lot near the corner of the dam, the area in that corner is where I fished, and the ice was all solid there.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts

Thanks I did see that on your other post. Sounds like you had a good day. Hopefully I can say the same this time tomorrow.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Ok, here are the pics in crappy cameraphone quality:

Dowdy Lake

West Lake

Parvin Lake

Dowdy brown

Dowdy stocker

I hope you can tell that the ice starting to look pretty good up there. 

T

·
0 Posts

no snow up on red feather lakes - al least not up to when you took the pics - eh? and chambers has 1 foot - weird.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Not really that weird.  Chambers is a whole different animal, being right next to some big ol' mountains and all.  Mountains tend to make their own weather.  Chambers is also at least a thousand feet higher in elevation  (around 10,000 as opposed to 8300 or so for Dowdy). Chambers sits in a depression that tends to collect snow a little more than the Red Feather Lakes, which are on a hill top, and tend to get hit by really high winds that blow the snow away.

What's more interesting is how Joe Wright can have a couple feet more snow than Chambers at any given time, and they are even closer together than Chambers and Red Feather.  Funny world we live in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts